Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Doug Pinnick Question

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Woodchuck, Jul 27, 2002.

1. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    I was reading the article about him in the new BP, and when they mentioned his amp, it said, "....his main rig since 1974." I've gotta ask, just how old IS this guy?!

2. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Wow! Thanks. We Black folk age well! :D

3. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    I love his playing, but for some reason -maybe his tone??? I find him hard to hear. Anybody else have that problem?

4. on "Dogman" I thought his bass was pretty prominent in the mix- high-end crunch with a low-end rumble that probably came from using different amps for the highs and lows.

his P bass cuts through well on "Pillow" and "Black the sky".

I suppose his 8 and 12string tones might get lost in the guitar tracks.

his tone does sound like some low mids have been cut, though.
    on "Ear candy" the bass sounds a bit buried.

5. I could barely hear him when I saw King's X a year back. OTOH, I was right in front of Tabor's rig.

6. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I could hear him fine the 2 times I saw King's X this year.

Of course, I was standing in front of his 3 8x10's.;)

Anyone ever seen them switch instruments for the encore?

7. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    Wow, i didn't know that. Also look at flea (same issue). I think he is the bassist who has aged the worse. He looks like a 70 year-old sailor.

8. I was amazed when I found out how old he actually is... he sure does age well.

As far as his tone-- I felt his sound was getting pretty muddy when he was using those twelve string basses. The last few albums King's X has done he's gone back to the four strings and the sound seems to be tighter to me.

9. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    goods to know it's not just me! I agree though the fours do seem to cut better. He should be louder anyway.

10. Mark Gollihur

Mark Gollihur Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 19, 2000
    Gloucester County, NJ
    Owner/President, Gollihur Music LLC
    A favorite story:

When I saw Kings X (one of many times) at the Trocadero in Philly, I was watching them set up his rig. When the tech picked up a bass to play, he struck the A-string to test for signal. Mind you, the bass was not in the mains at this point... Doug's bass sound filled the stage, the room, the lobby, and about 3 blocks down the street.

I think the thing about his bass tone that makes it "hard to hear" is that you don't even realize that what you hear is bass. He uses a dual amp setup that has the high end pretty heavily distorted, and it very effectively blends with Ty's guitar sound. It's almost as if the bass and guitar are one on many of their tracks. In fact, the heaps of praise for Ty's incredible guitar tone - for which he has received kudos for over the last 20 years - may be partially attributable to its compatibility to Doug's bass tone.

Regardless, even when soloed, Doug's bass tone is pretty indistinct and "muddy," without much definition. However, it fills out the bottom end so effectively that it is - in my opinion - one of the things that makes them sound so huge, even though they're a trio.

Man, I LOVE that friggin' band. [​IMG]

11. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    Interseting, I'm going to go listen to some tracks with that in mind....

12. sgraham

sgraham

Aug 30, 2000
    Tyler, TX
    King's X is one of my favorite all-time bands. I've had the pleasure of meeting and talking to Doug
    several times at Dallas and Houston gigs beginning in 1989.
    I'll tell you, in person he looks a helluva lot younger than his age as well.

He's also a SUPER nice dude who likes talking to
    his fans about bass, music, etc. when he gets the chance. :)

13. PhatBasstard

PhatBasstard Spector Dissector Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    Yes, I find him to be undermixed (especially live). I remember them making an appearance on either Arsenio or Dennis Miller's old show back some years ago ("Faith, Hope, Love" period) and they sounded terrible because the mix was bad.

Plus Ty's sound is more mid-rangy than most guitarists so he already naturally sticks out more. One thing they haven't learned from other trios (like Rush and The Police for example) is that in a trio situation the bass should be louder than usual so as to take up more sonic space. Doug already plays very rich bass lines but because he's undermixed and has nearly zero midrange in his tone it sounds like the bottom dropped out whenever Ty takes a solo.

Doug.....TURN UP PLEASE.

14. PhatBasstard

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    I remember reading he was around "40" when "Gretchen..." came out so I knew he had to be "getting up there". And Yes, he does age well.

15. Steve Lawson

Steve Lawson Solo Bass Exploration! Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    Ive been listening to '...Mr Bulbous' for the last couple of days - amazing stuff, and no problem hearing the bass - what kind of stereos are you guys using?

have a read of my interview with Doug from Bassist magazine. That's about a 10th of what I've got on tape, and maybe one day I'll type the rest up! We talked for hours...

http://www.steve-lawson.co.uk/pinnick.htm

some stuff in there about the tone/production on their records.

cheers

Steve
    www.steve-lawson.co.uk

16. PhatBasstard

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    Not saying "I can't hear him". I'm saying his sound isn't loud or full enough live or on the strict studio trio stuff (no rhythm guitar) to properly support a trio when the guitar is soloing.

17. Steve Lawson

Steve Lawson Solo Bass Exploration! Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    obviously I can't comment on live other than the one gig of theirs I've seen which was mixed to perfection, and is one of the greatest gigs I've ever seen.

on record, I've had no complaints since Dogman - that record and all after it seem to be mixed just right. I'm not that keen on Sam Taylor's sound - he just seemed to over produce everything. How much would I like to get hold of the masters for those first four albums and redo them???? :oops:)

I love the way the sound drops to rumbling bass and single lead line on some of the stuff on Dogman especially...

guess it comes down to taste...

Steve
    www.steve-lawson.co.uk

18. Mark Gollihur

Mark Gollihur Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 19, 2000
    Gloucester County, NJ
    Owner/President, Gollihur Music LLC
    Hmm... I guess this is one of those subjective things. I'm almost always an advocate of the bass being louder in the mix (especially in my band, LOL) but I've never felt that Doug needed more volume, in any studio recording or in the 4 or 5 times I've seen him live. His sound, admittedly, is light in the mids, but it is a very unique sound that suits the band's style.

19. PhatBasstard

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    To tell the truth, "Dogman" is when I stopped buying their albums. Why? Because I hate when trios overdub rhythm guitars and it seemed that they really, more and more, were doing that on every track. I know they did this somewhat on "Gretchen" & "Faith, Hope, Love" but those were basically trio records and thats what I dig (its also why I didn't like "Planet"). Thats why "Gretchen" and "Faith" are still in my collection.

How loud Doug is seems to depend a lot on how big and bassy of a system you are listening to him on. He sounds pretty good on my home system but disappears in my truck (and my truck has a pretty good system).

Now if they would just release that (properly mixed) live album I've been waiting all these years for.:D