Doug Stegmeyer, Billy Joel's Bassplayer

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Scooby D, Nov 9, 2000.

1. Scooby D

Scooby D

Oct 3, 2000
    Hello! I've been listening alot to Billy Joel lately and have really gotten to appreciate his bassist Doug Stegmeyer.Billy really had an incredible rhythm section with Doug and drummer Liberty Devito. I recommend his live album,"Songs in the Attic".GREAT STUFF!
  2. Yeah. Too bad he's playing bass for the Angels now but he was excellent. I'm seriously considering forming a BJ cover band. Very lucrative here on LI ;)
    carsonchilders likes this.
  3. BenjaminDF

Aug 29, 2009
    Lately I'm learning more complex pieces like Italian Restaurant.

Doug is amazing. His knowledge of the fretboard is top notch.

He's also VERY tasteful. I'm going to list him as one of my big, if somewhat late in my life, influences.

If I could consistently play with the musicality and taste of Doug, my audiences would be very happy.
  4. Gecko 5

Gecko 5 Supporting Member

I had to read this twice.
    Yeah Doug was great. To bad he left so soon.
    Check out the 2000 Millenium Live cd. David Santos has one of my favorite bass tones on that cd
  5. bummer - I dind't know that. Sucks . . .

as a fellow LI'r I know that BJ buzz . . . ;)
  6. jaywa

May 5, 2008
    Iowa City, IA
    It can be a tough gig playing bass for an artist whose lead instrument is piano... but Doug did as good a job of it as anyone I've ever heard.
  7. svtb15

svtb15 Commercial User

Mar 22, 2004
    Austin,TX - McKinney,TX - NY,NY, - Nashville,TN
    I play it all. Whatever works for the gig
    Doug took over my spot in the Deb Gibson band after i left.. He was only with her a short time before his passing.. He was a master player...Perfect part for any song.. And a hell of a nice person...
    I was just talking about him with a mutual friend on LI just last week.. He got a great sound with Flats on that bass... his last bass was his musicman 5...
    carsonchilders likes this.
  8. wow what an old thread. I still think about Stegmeyer whenever I play a Billy Joel tune..

edit: nice youtube video

9. svtb15

svtb15 Commercial User

Mar 22, 2004
    Austin,TX - McKinney,TX - NY,NY, - Nashville,TN
    I play it all. Whatever works for the gig
    he didn't commit suicide in his home according to the video.. It was at his Studio... I knew Doug.. he took my spot when i left dib gibson. .. he and i spoke at a few Deb Gibsons house parties that year.. We were all friends.. .My wife's ex husband is the one that found Doug in the studio.. he was to have a session that say... They couldn't get in the studio because it was locked. they called the police .. His body was behind the desk.. Bad scene.
    Im sure he was upset about the gig but he lost a few people in his life but the straw that broke the camel's back was when his Dog passed away. It all came within a short time.