Doug Stegmeyer Question

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by SAAW, Oct 11, 2005.

1. SAAW

Oct 11, 2005
    I'm a fan of Billy Joel and have really gotten to appreciate his bassist Doug Stegmeyer. I'm interested in learning more about him if anyone has any information that is available. I was basically interested in biography-type information if available, or someone here who just knows a lot about him. I have read some things- and see a ton printed on Billy Joel and Liberty DeVitto- but very little on this one.

Thank You,
    donkennedyalbert likes this.
  2. Gecko 5

Gecko 5 Supporting Member

I know after the live Russian cd/tour , Billy canned Doug Stegmeyer and Russell Javors ( rhthym guitar ) . Don't know why .
    For Storm Front he used Schuyler Deale . For a while he had Tom " T-Bone " Wolk ( Hall and Oates ) , and I think David Santos .
    Hanent heard about Doug in quite a while .
    I remember he used Fender Telecaster basses with P-bass pickups .
    It would be interesting to hear of his where-abouts .
  3. oldrocker

Feb 13, 2005
    Long Island, NY
    I think Doug passed away several years back.
  4. SAAW

Oct 11, 2005
    Doug shot himself dead in August of 1995. There are many speculations why. I just find it remarkable that I hear of his death as oppossed to more of his life.

I don't know Billy Joel's reasons behind canning Doug- but I can say that if it were not for Doug (and the other members of their original band), "The Billy Joel Band" as we knew it would not have existed. I don't believe Billy Joel would have been as big and as powerful as he was. He needed them- and that's some payback as a "thanks".

Thank you for your comments. Anyone know anything else and would like to add to this is welcome.

5. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Wow!....I didn't know that.....very sad!
  6. donkennedyalbert

Nov 19, 2015
    Hi Antoinette ~

I just listened to Always a Woman eight times in a row because of the bass. I was wondering, is that a fretless I hear or was he so good that he could sound fretless on frets?

Upon my search I found myself asking your questions. I'm 11 years too late on this, but have you gotten any answers?

7. mhartman29

Mar 23, 2014
    Austin, TX
    He has some excellent, tasty bass lines. Some really fine bass work that perfectly fits the songs. Very underrated, imo.