Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Doug Watkins

Discussion in 'Bassists [DB]' started by Mark Carlsen, Apr 14, 2005.

1. Anyone who likes PC [His cousin] and that 50's era bop playing should check out this guy.Nice intonation and that big Gut Sound.
    Picked up another Donald Byrd CD this week and it's Live in Paris. Nice concert w. Bobby Jasper,Walter Davis Jr., and Art Taylor.
    Watkins gets featured alot and there is a nice blues w. Doug and Bobby Jasper on flute doing the melody in unison.The concert is from Oct of 1958 and the recording is very good.A nice study of a very consistant player who died way to young !!

2. Jeremy Allen

Jeremy Allen Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2002
    Bloomington, IN
    I'll second that. I love his playing, and I always thought that had he not died so young we would talk about him the way we do PC and Sam Jones.

3. I love Dougs feel!!

4. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    Amen, brothers...he was an early influence for me. Probably on some Yusef Lateef albums.

5. Alexi David

Alexi David

May 15, 2003
    NYC
    You should hear him on Mingus' "Oh Yeah", he sounds great!

6. Alexi.....great move using that quote from that idiot on free playing!!!

7. Alexi David

Alexi David

May 15, 2003
    NYC
    It was one of my favorite TB moments. That and the thread that was titled "My Pops is Hard". :D

8. A few Album/Cd suggestions...
    Of course Doug worked w. Art Blakey and the Jazz Messengers and he is on their first recordings including Horace Silvers and the Jazz Messengers[Blue note 1518]
    The live at the Cafe Bohemia Vol.1 and 2 are classics included now on Cd w. extra tracks and Doug is featured on 'Whats New'.[Blue Notes 1507,1508]
    I have him on some unissued stuff w. Red Garland on Prestige called "Rediscovered Masters".They play 'Blues in the Closet' and 'Mr.Wonderfull"
    An old Boston label called Transition put out a disc under Dougs name called 'Watkins at Large' w. Hank Mobley,Donald Byrd,Kenny Burrell,Duke Jordon, and Art Taylor.Of course there is more such as the many Pepper Adams/Donald Byrd sides.

9. :D

10. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    doug+sonny= one of my favorite recipes !

11. Phil Rowan

Phil Rowan

Mar 2, 2005
    Brooklyn, NY
    ...please do check him out on Sonny Rollins "Saxophone Collossus". If you haven't heard that album, I am extremely jealous of you.

12. TroyK

TroyK Moderator Staff Member

Mar 14, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    What is it about Doug Watkins sound that makes it so distinct? I can always pick him out of a recording. I don't think it's his playing, but his sound. If I describe it, it would sound like a lot of other players from that era, yet somehow, the timbre of his note is like a fingerprint.

Anyone else feel this way?

13. MR PC

MR PC

Dec 1, 2007
    Great session....googled Hank Mobley and done did the cut and paste. Hank's Tune!:cool:

Donald Byrd - Byrd's Eye View (Transition TRLP 4)
    Donald Byrd (tp) Joe Gordon (tp -3,4) Hank Mobley (ts) Horace Silver (p) Doug Watkins (b) Art Blakey (d)
    Cambridge, MA, December 2, 1955
    1. Everything Happens To Me
    2. Hank's Other Tune (Late Show)
    3. Doug's Blues
    4. Hank's Tune
    ** also issued on Transition (J) LNJ 70104, (J) GXF 3123.

14. For me, his sound on Blue 7 is the ultimate. The tone I wish I had. John

15. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
  16. Not alot there, but can you imagine the sound he got in the lower register? (my computer didn't do well on those clips).

17. Eric Swanson

Eric Swanson

Oct 8, 2007
    Boston, MA
    What a sound he had, consistently. Truly one of the great players.