1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Doug Wimbish effects

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by smklassen0977, Jan 23, 2017.

1. There's this video I just saw today with Living Colour bassist Doug Wimbish and Will Calhoun jamming.. The video is on YouTube called Groove Duet.. About 1 minute into the jam Doug uses some effect on his bass to get a lead guitar tone.. any ideas what pedal that might be?

2. You can see him step on a pedal just before this 'lead guitar' section kicks in so personally I'd say maybe a Whammy with some fuzz/OD?

3. AngelCrusher

AngelCrusher

Sep 12, 2004
    Mesa Boogie, Tech 21, Taylor
    I know he used the digitech whammy. I bought one years ago because of that. It can make the bass screech like a guitar. It's really fun to use for going from low bass to screeches and back quickly. If you keep the pedal pushed forward, the bass will sound like a guitar.

He seems to have a lot of pedals on that board, and he may have a simple octave up as well.

4. SpasticTastic

SpasticTastic

Dec 22, 2012
    Louisiana
    Definitely sounds like something a Digitech Whammy can achieve. That's possibly what he was using both at the beginning and at that 1 minute part. Used the whammy to modulate natural harmonics at the beginning with the expression pedal, then kept it at a fixed position for the lead parts.

The Bass Whammy reissue set on classic mode can achieve that sound, artifacting and all.

5. Very cool! Never heard of that pedal.. must have been under a rock for the last 20 years haha

6. Here are the pedalboards he uses, it is one of these. :) (note the whammy on the right)

JB-2013-03-19-00004.jpg

ccbass71 and rjovin like this.
  7. dude likes his effects! wow.. Thanks!

8. Callused Finger

Callused Finger

Feb 22, 2007
    New York
    Doug Wimbish's Effects
    Wimbish categorizes his expansive pedalboard into sections. The signal starts in the "noisy" section with a Tech 21 SansAmp, Pigtronix Disnortion, Source Audio Soundblox 2 OFD Bass microModeler and Hot Hand 3, and Pigtronix Mothership. Next up is his "bendy" section with a Dunlop Cry Baby wah and DigiTech Whammy, followed by his "filter" section with a Pigtronix Envelope Phaser, Boss Flanger, DOD Fx25 Envelope Filter, DigiTech Synth Wah, Source Audio Soundblox Pro Bass Envelope Filter, and Way Huge Ring Worm. He closes it out with a "delay" section with Boss DSD-2 Digital Sampler, Boss DD-6 and DD-7 Digital Delays, TC Electronic Nova Delay, and Boss SL-20 Slicer, into an Eventide PitchFactor, and Pigtronix Infinity Looper. A Keith McMillan 12-step controls a Pro Tools rig on a laptop set with a Sculpture onboard sampler.

el murdoque and Driven Crane like this.
  9. rmars

rmars

Jan 2, 2004
    Bettendorf, Ia
    I have that DVD. I'll try to dig it out and see if he gives a pedal run down but he pitches up with a Whammy pedal. I vaguely remember him using a Daddy O Distortion in that era but I don't think there's one on his pedal board in that video (that I can see). Every time I go on a Wimbish kick I want a Spector.

10. Can't help with the pedal in question, but I did have have the pleasure of seeing him play a solo show to about 50-80 people during the TE rebirth tour. I was in awe of his full rig. Insane!!!

11. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    He sure does and his board is constantly evolving. He'd fit right in here at the Effects forum.

He's also a super nice guy.

blindrabbit likes this.
  12. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 18, 2021