Doug Wimbish Ibanez DWB3 - Anyone like it?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Las Olas, Apr 19, 2004.

1. Las Olas

Las Olas

Apr 20, 2003
    Scarborough, UK
    Hey guys

Snagged myself a DVb3 on ebay the other day

Played one at a london shop, and it really stood out amongst a whole lot of other nice basses. Ive been looking for a cool four to play with, and this seemed ideal. They were asking nearly £800 in the shop, and I found it for 475 on ebay, so I was happy.

Anyone own one>? Or experienced one? I'd be interested.

2. Fred312b

Fred312b What if I want to play jazz precisely? Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2002
    Chicago, IL
    i've never seen one like that before- are those emg's stock? and are those huipshot ultralite tuners? anyways, it looks like a good deal to me. one thing that always confused me about the "doug wimbish" model is that i've always seen him using his spectors, even on his website he's got a ton of spectors and maybe one ibanez -not to knock your bass, but you'd think part of the endorser contract would require you to at least use the product.
  3. Hurley

Feb 12, 2004
    Cape Cod, MA
    I'm not a big fan of Ibanez, but I played an identical bass at a local shop and I actually liked it. You got a really decent bass at a great price. Congratulations! I hope you enjoy it. :)
  4. lame(B)ass

Jun 18, 2004
    I'm bumping this thread, because I'm thinking hard about ordering the Ibanez DWB3. I can't try it before buying. :crying: Anyways the neck diemensions are the same like SRX700/500 series, so that shouldn't be problem (I played these). I have EMG P+J in my current bass and I like the sound, so that should't be problem too.

How does work the pre-amp? How does the bass sound in band mix? And finally how solid is - the hardware and the workmanship?

Thanks a lot! :hyper: :bassist:
  5. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    The Doug Wimbish model is a great bass. I seriously considered picking upo a used one but someone got before I could. Ibanez gets dogged around here, but they makes some very good instruments, especially the more expensive ones.
  6. lame(B)ass

Jun 18, 2004
    I can order new one is shop here for 825 euro, that's much less than in other shop (they go for prices around 1100 euro usually). Damn GAS! :D
  7. BadB

May 25, 2005
    Glendale, AZ
    DW basses and the other SR style Ibanez's play pretty good. I like the necks. The EMG's are a very consistant and stable sounding pick up. You cant go wrong with that. Their bodies don't do it for me, though. Too small for me to be comfortable with. But that's a personal issue. They play and sound great.
  8. phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Is it the neck-through model? Those are pretty much a replica of his favourite Spector, or so I've heard.
  9. lame(B)ass

Jun 18, 2004
    Yes, neck-thru.

The older version had the knobs in one line, like SRX series, and costed much more (maybe was MIJ??).
  10. Correct.

The DWB3 is MIK, as is the majority of new Ibanez gear now, including the SR1000/BTB1005 lines.
  11. Rusty Chainsaw

Rusty Chainsaw

Oct 15, 2002
    The Cronx
    I played one back in the UK a few months ago, and it wasn't a bad instrument at all (although the setup sucked, which kinda put me off playing it much). It is basically Ibanez's version of a Spector and doesn't sound too far off, even if it is missing a bit of the classic Spector growl.
  12. lame(B)ass

Jun 18, 2004
  13. I played one about a year ago in L.A. and I stil remember how much I liked it! The playability was tops and I could dial up a few usable tones quickly. I can't remember the price but I remember wishing I had the dough to pick it up.
  14. i played one last year at a music store here and I really regret not getting it!!! Reminded me a lot of Spectors, so if you have the chance to buy it, get it...