1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Doug Wimbish Living Color pedalboard

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by HolmeBass, Oct 19, 2017.

1. I had a friendly crew member snap this pic of Doug Wimbish's pedalboard at the end of the Living Color show tonight in Charlottesville. It was a benefit for survivors of the August violence and a memorial for Heather Heyer. Vernon Reid dedicated the entire show to her memory. They played with fire and gravity, they were really hitting. Doug's performance was stellar.

Four H9's and a Whammy, to start with. A Way Huge Ringworm ring mod, and a couple of pigtronics effects. A couple of DOD effects. Something was producing a pretty massive sub at points, looks like maybe an H9? He also ran a more tradition octave down for a solo section.

2. Pigtronics Disnortion and Mothership 3 (or just 2?), I believe.

3. DOD FX 25 and Digitech Bass Synth Wah.

Bassmike62 likes this.
  4. LSMFT6

LSMFT6 We brake for nobody Supporting Member

Aug 16, 2006
    California
    None
    King of the H9s

HolmeBass likes this.
  5. bassbassbass12345

bassbassbass12345 Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2015
    Wow I’ve never seen someone run the chrome whammy in their setup! I’ve got one but haven’t taken it out of the packaging

HolmeBass likes this.
  6. His currently open patches are:

2INSAN
    3SWIRL
    2MASSI
    1ANOTH

I am hoping someone with some Eventide / H9 knowledge might be able to shed some light on them.

7. Jonny5bass

Jonny5bass

May 3, 2011
    Seattle, WA
    That's a lot of tuners! Surprised to see the Digitech Synth Wah on there. Still have mine. In a drawer...

Paul M, Alien8 and HolmeBass like this.
  8. LSMFT6

LSMFT6 We brake for nobody Supporting Member

Aug 16, 2006
    California
    None

You can make your own preset names and numbers with the H9, so those could be anything. The mystery lives on

9. I realize that, and you can tweak their presets, so I was wondering if anyone recognized if he was using any tweaked presets.

10. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    Wow, Doug seems to have scaled way back.

11. For some reason I was expecting to see some source audio in there. Must have my wires crossed.

12. Yeah, he's definitely packing light on this particular outing – just his essentials. No, I'm not being facetious.

I'm surprised he's not got a switcher (such as a G2 or similar), there's a lot to remember on that board just with the assorted pedals, but then remembering which H9 does what...

Always been a fan of Living Colour (note the band adds the "u", btw).

HolmeBass and JimmyM like this.
  13. Yeah he really had what is, for him, quite the modest pedal board. Vernon Reid, on the other hand, had 3 PT Pro's and a little extra beyond that!

JimmyM likes this.
  14. Yeah I guess they do, but I have a hard enough time keeping it all straight - In Living Colour? No, In Living Color was a TV show, right? That broke Jamie Foxx and Jim Carey? So the band is "Living Colour". I think.

15. micguy

micguy

May 17, 2011
    Yeah, the one he had before, you had to catch a bus to get to the other end.

16. ☝︎ :roflmao:

Correctamundo. Easy for me to remember the u, I grew up spelling it that way. ;)

Edited to add some Colour, Color...

Wanda (Foxx) & Fire Marshall Bill (Carey)

Last edited: Oct 22, 2017
    HolmeBass likes this.
  17. Alien8

Alien8

Jan 29, 2014
    I'm dying to try one, but you can't buy em yet!

HolmeBass likes this.
  18. I wish I was in a band where some serious synth and EDM tones were needed.

19. neptoon

neptoon Supporting Member

Jul 25, 2000
    Palm Bay, FL
    I seem to remember several of his boards being stolen several years ago...granted, though some of his stuff was likely easily replaceable, he had some pretty beat up, and very rare, boss and digitech pedals...I’ve seen him with three or four very large boards before...dude uses effects as instruments, few can pull it off the way he does..

HolmeBass and JimmyM like this.
  20. neptoon

neptoon Supporting Member

Jul 25, 2000
    Palm Bay, FL
    Why’s that? idk how he does it, but he can make just about any effect pedal talk, even the low end ones with bad reviews...I wouldn’t be surprised by any pedal on his board...dude is a magician with these things

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 17, 2021