Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Doug Wimbish on Studio Jams

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by jimbob, Dec 15, 2005.

1. jimbob

jimbob

Dec 26, 2001
    Charlotte NC
    Endorsing Artist: Acoustica Mixcraft; Endorsing Artist: DR Strings
    Jaw on the floor...they even took a minute to look at his gear... very cool! My wife enjoyed watching him as well. I want a delay real bad now....I want a Wammy Pedal Real Bad now...I want dredlocks...I'm highly impressed!

On utilizing the effects...Never saw a bass player use them in a musical way like he did on that show...he must spend hours tweaking and dialing them in...highly recommended to my fellow bassists...check out a rerun on BETJAZZ

2. What is this and where can I find it?? Doug Wimbish is one of my all time favorite bassists.

3. jimbob

jimbob

Dec 26, 2001
    Charlotte NC
    Endorsing Artist: Acoustica Mixcraft; Endorsing Artist: DR Strings
    BET is on cable...I think it stands for Black Entertainment Television(???)...they have a Jazz channel called BETJAZZ. You can say it is like MTV-VH1 but with a Jazz theme. Studio Jams has a website Studiojams.com, but when I looked at it last night the Wimbish episode was not listed.

4. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    For those who don't know, get Tackhead CDs if you want to hear Doug Wimbish unleashed. He is a great bassist in virtually any context that he is in, even more so than many other virtuoso bass guitarists.

5. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
  6. How I envy you!!! We don't have BET in Puerto Rico...

P.S. Thanks for the info on the interview, Jauqo...

7. anyone got his instructional DVD?
    I saw it in a shop the other day- the cover shows him with an Ibanez- but with a maple fretboard.

8. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    I've checked it out a few times,it's kool and he touches on a nice amount of his techniques and theres a very interesting interview(in the dvd menue)where he talks about how he was asked by Mick Jagger to join the Rolling stone(he didn't have to audition because he had worked with K.Richards and M.Jagger many times in the past.he was the first pick,before D.Jones auditioned)and his reason for turning down the gig.

I remember when he was offered the RS's gig(but I couldn't say anything).

9. yeah, he explained the Rolling Stones story at the Trace Elliot launch at the Bass Centre a couple of weeks ago- Mick Jagger offered to buy off Living Colour so Doug could do the Stones tour, but Vernon Reid insisted everything was fine with LC (when actually cracks were beginning to show). he said Vernon later apologised for this.

I wonder how Doug would have approached the Stones gig- Daryl Jones keeps faithful to the original versions in style and tone.

10. willgroove2

willgroove2

Aug 16, 2003
    chicago IL
    Endorsing Artist;Essential sound products,Dunlop, Ergo Instruments
    charlie drayton was also offered the gig but turned it down.i met him and he was talking about his reasoning and the whole time i was thinking"how could you turn that gig down flat?" but he had some very good reasons,not being a full member was a big one.

11. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    I could care less about being a full member.the gig is what would have mattered to me.

hey will are you going to Kenns Clinic today at the Bass club?

12. a lot of money to be had, but I can imagine there'd be downsides to being a tiny cog in the big business machine that the band is.

who else was considered for the Stones gig?
    Roscoe Beck mentioned auditioning.
    did they try out the drummer from Keef's Xpensive Winos? (that Charley Drayton swapped roles with)

13. willgroove2

willgroove2

Aug 16, 2003
    chicago IL
    I couldn't make it,i had a family gathering at the very same time as the clinc,did you go? how was it?

14. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.

I went and checked it out.it was pretty kool,Kenn talked about theory and grooving.he covered a pretty varied range on the subject of the Bass guitar.

15. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Steve Jordan (Charley's bass/drums partner) has a pretty successful career as a producer, having produced both Keith's albums and the new John Mayer Trio album among others. Taking the Stones gig probably would be a step back for him.

16. willgroove2

willgroove2

Aug 16, 2003
    chicago IL
    charlie's a cool dude and it was a cool hang,I wish i could tell you some of the storys he was telling us (some of the funnist stuff i'v ever heard) but this is a family website

17. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    yeah I saw that rerun the other day... I like how Doug talks about his love of effects.

18. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    I like that the show actually talked to Doug. ;) BET pretty much rules, they could use less commercials, but I'm nit-picking. Last week they also replayed the old Grover Washington concert with Anthony Jackson on bass...it too, ruled! :D

19. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    Yeah I have mas-respect for BET, especially their coverage of Jazz and world music... very cool.

w00t!!! I would have loved to see that... I miss GW, my first cat was named after him.

20. I think I remember hearing Tommy Shannon and Entwhistle.