1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Doug Wimbish

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Clay_Bass, Apr 23, 2006.

1. I had the chance to meet, talk with and watch doug wimbish play at Bassbootcamp and he really blew me away. He is so unique and has been invovled with everyone. Hes one of the founders of hip hop bass and his new stuff is just so wild with his use of effects and his techniques hes created. He seems like he is extremely underrated within the bass community and outside of it. This forum seems to be the only one Ive been on that people know who he is. What do you guys think?

2. DougP

DougP

Sep 4, 2001
    Dougs my favorite bass player.

i really and truly enjoy is style and music.

3. Doug is one of my biggest inspirations. My playing style is nothing like his but I love how innovative he has been on the instrument..

Living Colour is my all time favorite band. I loved Muzz in LC but when Doug joined, it took the band to a new level for me.

4. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    I'm a longtime fan! I love Tackhead, Jungle Funk and just about everything else he has done. Living Colour's Stain album is a awesome display of cool basswork in a heavy music vein!

5. Papersen

Papersen Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2002
    Doug´s a monster player.
    His use of effects is truly innovative, he´s got great tone, builds good bassline and got amazing chops (great command of hand slap technique).
    In fact, I was amazed when I realized that he played many of LC basslines with only one RH finger.

6. DougP

DougP

Sep 4, 2001
    His right hand technique just blows me away, it looks so unorthodox yet sounds so good. :)

7. Doctor J

Doctor J

Dec 23, 2005
    Grease
    I'm not familiar with a lot of his work but Stain by Living Colour is one of my favourite albums and the bass playing is unbelievable. He's a very imaginative player but still holds the bottom down in a tasteful way. Great stuff.

8. Rhythmbug

Rhythmbug

Jan 22, 2006
    London UK
    Check out his video titled "New Dimensions for Bass". Highly recommended, he goes through all his techniques and effects. One of the bonus scenes shows him doing a live solo with living colour. The crowd goes bananas. I nearly fell off my chair watching it.

9. I loved Tackhead and Living Colour. He even played a great solo on a Carly Simon record! I like how he throws harmonics on top of moving bass lines and the bottom never falls out.

10. kirin

kirin

Jan 11, 2006
    Atlanta, GA
    Not to mention a super nice and down to earth guy - from my own experience meeting him. Very inspiring player to me.

11. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta (Grant Park!)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    If you want to hear great pocket slapping, go download Sugarhill Gang's "Hot Summer Days".

12. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    One of my fav players.. I love his style and innovation =)

13. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    He's a damn good player in my book, I really love his tone these days!

14. hands5

hands5

Jan 15, 2003
    good 'ol USA/Tampa fla.
    none
    I liked him when he was with Grand Master Flash, Sugar Hill Gang ,Duke Booty,and Treachous 3.Also Mark Stewart & M.A.F.I.A.

15. I just bougth "Vivid" a few months ago and it's on my list of "Favorite CD NOT to listen to so I don't burn out on them!"

Great bass playing. The rest of the band ain't too bad either, too bad their career didn't take off more.

16. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    Yeah, I dig Doug... :cool:

MM

17. Billy Low

Billy Low

Apr 14, 2003
    Chicago
    Sandberg Guitars
    It's unfortunate that a bassist of his skill level with as many credentials that he has is virtually unknown.:ninja:

Betcha that if he played lead guitar the whole world would know him!:rollno:

18. You do know thats not Doug playing on Vivid, right? Thats Muzz Skillings. If you want to listen to some of Dougs work with LC, get Stain or their most recent album, Collideoscope.

Doug VERY underappreciated for the impact he has had on bass playing. Its very odd. There is a group of bands that, in my mind, has stood the test of time and their sound is great. For example, Seal, Depeche Mode, Living Colour, and many others. These are all CD's I still listen to this day. But, it wasn't until a couple years ago that I realized all these CD's I dig, Doug was the bass player on them. Its a funny coincidence on my part but really a testament to Doug's musicality to make music that sounds just as fresh in 1990 as it does today. Not only his bass playing, but his ideas of ambience, producing, and "filler sounds" were WAY ahead of his time when he first came to the scene, and still are..

From a time I got to meet him, I felt as if he was a really humble guy. But, after reading some recent articles, he really is starting to push to get proper credit for music he has created or helped create. Maybe not get credit, but set the record straight on alot of things (Sugarhill stuff, Miami Vice song, etc..). I believe this is totally deserved.

One of the most memorable music experiences in my life was when I saw LC in Ohio right after they got back together. I'll preface by saying NO ONE touches my Modulus Q6. Its been my baby since 1996 and if anything were to happen to it, I would be devistated. He came out and personally signed the back of it for me and was appreciative that I asked him to.. He said "Treat her well and she'll treat you well" :)

Just my $0.02

19. jaxsn

jaxsn

Nov 17, 2003
    Connecticut
    Yes doug is a master talent on the bass. Haven't seen him in years.
    but like wine, with time, I'm sure he's playing fine.

-jaxsn

20. DGbass70

DGbass70

Jun 1, 2005
    Rochester N.Y.
    i think he's the original bassist on the famous RAPPER'S DELIGHT song