Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Doug Wimbish's Pedal Board

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by TaySte_2000, Oct 29, 2004.

1. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    Now I saw Living Colour an hour ago so this is the most up to date one

Now firstly it's massive I mean MASSIVE so I might not remember it all and I'm not completely sure of the order

Pedalboard 1

Sansamp Bass Driver
    Peterson Strobe Tuner (Not the Stomp Box)
    EHX The WORM
    Danelectro Daddy O
    Snarling Dogs Wah pedal (Yellow one not sure of the name but has white room, shaft and somehting else as a setting)

This board was powered by a voodoo labs power supply

Pedalboard 2

Whammy (Red one)
    Digitech Synth Wah (Not Bass Synth Wah)
    Boss BF-2 Flanger
    Dod FX-25b (That filter pedal that flea uses I might have the number wrong)
    Digitech Digiverb
    Boss Digital Sampler/Delay (Never seen one of these before)
    Boss Digital Delay
    Line 6 DL-4
    Ernie Ball VOlume Pedal (Big one Stereo)

Midi controler for the rack
    He also Had a digitech Vocal multi effects but that was for his singing so blah.
    in his rack he had some sort of TC Electronics thing that I've not seen before and two digitech rack mount units one had 330 as a model number but couldn't see the other, sorry.

Now next to him he had a 14" Ibook with another flat screen moniter next to it, an akai sampler, a korg caoss pad could have been a mk2 but couldn't see either way he didn't use it, one alesis airfx and one alesis synthair you know one blue one red, I can't remeber all these names, he also had some midi organ keyboard pedals but he only really used one sound of these.

Amps
    trace elliot heads into SWR cabs I can't remember Toasted will fill every one in when he posts the pictures.

Now I was stood directly infront of Doug 1 foot from his boards and 3 foot from the man him self I spent about an house before the show loking at them all so I'm pretty dead on with this the order is more or less the order I posted the pedals only.

Pretty much all the pedals were set in the middle position, and he sounded awesome.

It was all wired up with monster cables yes I was that close I could read the branding on them, and they all look battered to hell

Toasted will be along in a couple of days to fill the rest in and show some pics.

2. bassmatik

bassmatik

Oct 19, 2004
    TaySte_2000, thanks for sharing! :hyper:

3. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Don't thank me I had to I would have exploded if I hadn't BTW for the next three weeks at least I'm gonna be talking about DOug Wimbish any one mind

OK

Didn't think so

4. bassmatik

bassmatik

Oct 19, 2004
    hey, by the way, how did the Digitech Synth Wah sound? did you noticed?

5. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    It was great dead dirty sounding he had it on the 3rd or 4th model one before half way not sure what it was.

The thing is this was most definatly the guitar version trust me, so I'm leaning towards the guitar one because thier easier to find so if any one knows the major differences. His sounded good with both 4 and 5 strings, so did his guiat whammy he had that set on the 2 octave setting, only used it for a slipt seconds but it worked perfectly with the music.

6. i did some work for Vernon Reid last year so i got to check out Doug's set-up up close.
    it is massive!!!

the Snarling Dogs effect you are thinking of is the MOLD SPORE.
    it is a wah/ring-modulator effect.
    very cool!

7. bassmatik

bassmatik

Oct 19, 2004
    okay...
    so, next question: :D
    how did the Snarling Dogs pedal sound?

8. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Really synthy, I think I could get a similar effect with a light distortion, my dunlop wah and a flanger, maybe I'll have a go today.

to be honest it didn't really sound like a ring modulator.

P.S. guys his Dod FX25-b only had two knobs so it's the older one.

9. The Reff

The Reff

Feb 11, 2004
    Denmark
    I thinks he usually uses a TC electronic 2290 with extra memory do his looping and a Lexicon Jam Man. Dude - where's the pics ?? :) :)

10. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    He didn't have a jamman, at all like I said in his rack were three unit's 2 digitech and a T.C. Electronic, your probably right on the T.C. but I couldn't see it that clearly, and it was inbetween the two digitech's.

Toasted will be along eventually and post some pics but be warned he had to take them on his phone so they won't be the best quality.

Oh yeah he didn't really do any looping anything like that that he did he did with the delay pedals he had in front of him.

11. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    I remember reading his pedal setup got stolen sometime last year, don't know if he ever got it all back or had to rebuild from scratch.

12. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    If he's rebuilt it he's played the crap out of it since then, they were all chipped to buggery, I don't know how he does it.

13. I was there last night, got a big hangover today!!

Tayste, was you one of the guys right at the front, leaning over Dougs board? If you was, I was stood right behind you!!

T.

14. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    He had:

Two Trace Elliot RM600 heads, each powering a GoliathII and a Big Bertha. He used one for his EB's and one for his EUB.

This man is probably now my god.

15. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK

Yeah that was me and Ste. I had a yellow Bob marley Tshirt on, and ste had a white shirt with blue markings on over his Talkbass "got bass" shirt.

16. .......one of you wears glasses?

17. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Aww man you should have said Hi, and yeah he wears glasses, if I'd have turned round you would have seen the Talkbass T-shirt, we need to go out with these tribal markings on. Make things easier

18. dirtgroove

dirtgroove

Jan 10, 2003
    Taipei, Taiwan
    I'd really like to see those photo's if you have them.

19. OH MY GOD...

PICTURES...

NOW!

:D :D :D

20. Tecx

Tecx Radio Rock Leads To Sterility

Jun 9, 2002
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    +1