1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Dougie Tomson ? Does anyone have info?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by canadian bass, Apr 3, 2006.

1. I was listening to Supertramps Crime Of The Century album over the radio. It was a classic rock weekend on our local radio station and they would play 1 side of a classic album in it's entirity.
    So after listening to Side one of Crime Of The Century I thought the bass tone was amazing. Especially on the the tracks School and Bloody Well Right.
    So I find out the bass players name is Dougie Tomson. Does anyone have any information on him. Like type of bass he used, amps, effects ect..

2. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

Here's a picture of Dougie playing a StingRay during the "Breakfast In America" tour (1979):

Dougie.

(Sorry, no further info on his equipment)

3. Thanks for the picture. It's interesting to see the Music Man. I don't know if he recorded Crime of The Century with that but, before you sent the picture I was thinking Fender Jazz.
    Anyhow I will try and find out what gear he used.
    Again thanks for the picture.

4. PhR

PhR

Dec 13, 2005
    Finland
    He also used to play a Rickenbacker 4001.

[​IMG]

Here with a Jazz:
    [​IMG]

It's Dougie Thomson, BTW.:)

5. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

Good ears, man. I started looking on the Net for old ("Crime Of The Century" era) Supertramp videos and found the promotional clip for "Dreamer". It's lip-synched, so it doesn't necessarily means that he used that bass for the recording, but most likely it was. A Fender Bassman amp can be seen as well. Here are some stills:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. GodsLove66

GodsLove66

Sep 15, 2013
    So, here is my guess as to what he used, and by guess I mean that I know that he used the basses, but I could be wrong about when he played them. From Crime of the Century to Even in the Quietest moments and even when he toured with Roger Hodgson in 1997, he played his, must've been, one off natural Fender Jazz Bass that had a carved/sculpted top. For the tours up until Even in the Quietest Moments, it seems that he also used a Ricky. For the EITQM and Breakfast tours, he had a white P-Bass with a tortuise shell pickguard that he used when playing Fool's Overture and otherwise just stood on stage looking pretty. For Breakfast in America, in case some of you didn't pickup on this already, he used a natural Music Man Stingray with a white pickup as the main bass. For at least part of the "Famous Last Tour" the Stingray took the P-bass's place on stage while a white G&L L2000 took over as lead bass. Then later into that tour, as can be seen in the Live in Toronto Film, a new red Yamaha BB bass took the Music Man's place, and for the rest of Thomson's tenure with Supertramp, he is seen playing various colored Yamaha BB Basses. I'll post pics later.