1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Douglas Six String from Rondo...Any Good

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Incognitus, Oct 14, 2006.

1. Incognitus

Incognitus Amen!

Mar 25, 2006
    Eagle River, Alaska
    As the title implies, I have been looking at trying out a six string bass but do not want to pay the moola for one. So I went on to the budget musician's store Rondo Music and saw this beauty...
    http://www.rondomusic.net/product748.html

What I want to know is this a decent instrument to test the waters of the six string ocean?

2. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Yes, it is.

3. A friend of mine purchased a Rondo six-string, and even after outfitting it with EMGs and a BTC electronics package couldn't stand the tone, rubbery B-string, and substandard build, and sold it for a major loss not long after (why he didn't pull the EMGs and save them or sell them separately I'll never know :rollno: )

There are new sixes not much more than that, and always the used market. I'd check both.

...and why are all the pictures of a "lefty six" actually right-handed?

4. sheepdog

sheepdog

Feb 20, 2003
    Birmingham, AL
    while I love their SX basses, I would be hesitant to buy another douglas. I had this one:

web846tbl2a.jpg

initially I loved it (6 string active jazz), but the neck had issues. I was never able to get it adjusted properly. Not sure if the trussrod was broken or just defective. I ended up returning it. In Kurt's defense, he gave me a full refund even though it had been just past 30 days.

5. Personally I would buy one of the brice ones before a douglas.

lowsound

6. sheepdog rondo doesnt seem to be selling that exact bass anymore, they seem to have replaced with another 6 string model.

its cool though because the newer model is beautiful.

7. patrickj

patrickj

Aug 13, 2001
    Ellicott City, MD
    Endorsing: Spector Bass Guitars
    I had a 5 string of that version.. decent bass. Sounded great, I just wasn't turned on by the ergonomis.

8. sheepdog

sheepdog

Feb 20, 2003
    Birmingham, AL
    weird...I got that picture straight from their website.

in general, though:
    but go for SX or Brice, not sure if I would go for Douglas

9. Incognitus

Incognitus Amen!

Mar 25, 2006
    Eagle River, Alaska
    Thanks for all the replies, I have decided to not go with the Douglas and instead go with the six string Brice HXB-406 http://www.rondomusic.net/hxb406blkq.html as it is a 35" scale and is still relatively cheap so I won't be too bummed if it turns out I don't like it. I must say that Rondo is both good for the wallet and bad for it all at the same time. It's like garlic.