Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Douglas?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by jondog, Oct 14, 2004.

1. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    I know several people have bought Douglas basses and liked them. Has anyone bought one of the strats? I can't find any reviews. They're made in China, but not by SX.

2. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Like the Brice Douglas that Rondo sells?

[​IMG]

3. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    No, as far as I know all Brice's are made in Korea. When I emailed Kurt about Douglas guitars, he said they're made in China.

4. DougP

DougP

Sep 4, 2001
    I'm Douglas...but i am Made In America.

Actually, my first thought was the Brice as well.

5. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    Well I bought one and I like it a lot. http://www.rondomusic.net/si13.html

Where else can you get a fat strat w/ a floyd for $120? I needed a cheap guitar to mount a GK synth pup on because I didn't want to drill holes in my nice guitars. This fit the bill perfectly. Mine is red w/ maple neck. It doesn't say it on the site, but apparently they all have photo Tiger Maple tops that look nice. I tried two of these at the store, and several of the SX strats. Much like the basses, the SX strats have great reviews on HC, I'd say this Douglas is just as good or better. I also tried 2 MexiFenders and a vintage US at GC the day before. Action was best on the vintage one, the Douglas and SX are definitely comparable to the Mexican ones, but mine has a real trem for less than 1/2 the price. Neck is straight, a little fret buzz only when I pick hard. Neck/body joint is perfect, better than on my telecaster. The trem cover on the back is recessed, a nice touch that I don't expect on budget guitars. Tuners feel good but that's sort of irrelevant because it has a locking nut. The only real flaw is the very end of the fingerboard -- it wasn't really finished properly so you can see saw marks. No big deal. The neck is unfinished and feels good. The headstock is varnished on the face. I don't really like the Douglas name/logo, but oh well. Maybe I'll put my own logo up there. I finished installed the synth pup today and I'm loving it! :hyper: