Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Douglass Six String

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by deathbloomslife, Sep 16, 2005.

1. Okay, so I'm looking to get into the six-string bass world, and the bass I have in mind is the Ibanez SR506. However, I'm a little unsure if I'll adapt and actually stay with six strings over 4 or 5. So, I was thinking on getting a cheap 'beater' for a while to see if I like it enough. So, I headed over to 'budget bass world's' aka Rondo Music's website to see what they had to offer.

Douglas SB-26 is what I found, and I think I like it! I was looking at the spec sheet, pretty darned impressive for only $180! However, I always like to plan ahead, and find out howmuch something will cost me IN THE END. So, I began to look at some pickup sizes, and noticed that the Douglas's pickups are 4 1/8" by 1 3/4".

Do any of you know of any pickups that would just drop in as a direct replacement? I am looking for an aggressive pickup, something like a Duncan,. but their pickups just don't match up.

HELP!!!

~Ryan

2. I had a peavey fury six I got for about 3 bills from americanmusical supply, and the construction was excellent for such a cheapo instrument. I hated the electronics/pickups, and you can read my review on harmony-central.com if you wish. Emg45's were direct replacements based on the dimensions of the pups that came stock, I ended up just giving it away to a friend who teaches as a beater if anyone wanted to try a sixer. It played quite well, i just didn't like the sound of the electronics.

3. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    IMO it's not worth the money to put pickups in such an inexpsnsive bass. The Douglas probably sounds fairly good as it. If you find you want to continue with 6 string save your money for a new bass down the road. The Rondo basses I have tried all sound acceptable, some sound really good.