1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Dowel size for tuner holes?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Deepwoods, Feb 26, 2013.

1. Deepwoods

Deepwoods Supporting Member

Dec 5, 2003
    St. Louis
    I have a Fender Highway 1 neck that has the open gear vintage style tuners. I want to dowel and redrill for lightweight Gotohs. Does anybody know the hole size so I can get the correct dowel diameter? Thanks

2. JLS

JLS

Sep 12, 2008
    Emeryville, Ca
    I setup & repair guitars & basses
    Have you considered measuring the holes yourself?

3. Gord_oh

Gord_oh Midtown Guitars Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2008
    Michigan
    should be 1/2 inch

that information could have been found out several ways on your own IMO.

4. Deepwoods

Dec 5, 2003
    St. Louis
    I have but it is not easy to for me to measure 16ths accurately with a standard tape. I'm fairly certain it's a standard size and wanted to save that 2nd trip to the store if you know what I mean.

5. bolophonic

bolophonic

Dec 10, 2009
    Durham, NC
    How are you planning to complete this project if you cannot measure a hole?

6. JLS

JLS

Sep 12, 2008
    Emeryville, Ca
    I setup & repair guitars & basses
    My thoughts, as well.

7. Deepwoods

Dec 5, 2003
    St. Louis
    I dont have the bass with me and wanted to stop on my way home from work to pick up supplies. The mobile search feature is not very good, tried that route. Ask a stupid question, get some stupid answers I suppose...

8. FatherG

FatherG

Dec 16, 2009
    California
    Carry the neck to Lowes and trial fit the dowels?

9. Deepwoods

Dec 5, 2003
    St. Louis
    Good advice, thanks.

10. FatherG

FatherG

Dec 16, 2009
    California
    Try to get oak or maple dowels too - pine will be too soft once you try to rework the holes.

11. Deepwoods

Dec 5, 2003
    St. Louis
    I will probably go with maple if they have it, and a fresh bit.

12. Deepwoods

Dec 5, 2003
    St. Louis
    This is what is on my desk today to bid/build but I can't install some tuners. Maybe I should stick to playing the bass and not building them, LOL!

Attached Files:

13. Bruce Johnson

Bruce Johnson Commercial User

Feb 4, 2011
    Fillmore, CA
    Professional Luthier
    Most bass headstocks using the classic old-style tuners are drilled 9/16"; some imports are drilled 14mm. Unfortunately, you aren't likely to find dowel stock in those sizes. Hardware stores usually only have dowel stock in 1/2" and 3/4". Most of us Luthiers end up turning our own in a lathe, from chunks of maple.

14. 202dy

202dy

Sep 26, 2006
    An alternative is to use a plug cutter. The plug will have side grain showing rather than end grain that shows when a dowel is used. Also more convenient and cheaper to buy if you don't have a lathe in the garage.