Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Down here at the pawn shop

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by IAMERICCOCHRANE, Mar 18, 2004.

1. So today I took a look inside a nearby Pawn shop and found some pretty nice instruments and bass gear. They had this nice Mesa Boogie cab for $300 and this American Fender Jazz for $450. I plan on buying the American Fender Jazz because it sounds sooo sweet. Has anyone else found any good buys at the pawn shop?

2. Squidfinger

Squidfinger I wish I could sing like Rick Danko.

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA
    Lately I've been coming to the realization that I can pretty much always get better deals at pawn shops than music stores. Pawn shop people just always seem more open to wheeling and dealing.

This last week I went up to a pawn shop to pawn a VCR and I looked over at their music stuff. Not much bass stuff. 20+ guitars but only like 4 basses. Again most of the amps were guitar, only 3 bass. Then it caught my eye, this sweet Peavey T-Max on top of a Peavey 4X10. I started talking to the guy and he was really cool. He told me was guitarist in a local blues band. I grabbed a Mark Hoppus sig bass (the best they had) and plugged in. It sounded great. He wanted $425 for both, a killer deal but I'm unemployed and broke. So I came in the next day with my Genz Benz ML200-115T combo to trade for just the head. He told me the book value on the amp was only $130 (I just payed $550 for it 3 months ago LOL) so a trade looks pretty unlikely. After listening to me play for a while he agrees. I actually think the only reason he agreed to the trade was because he liked my soloing :) . All in all a great retail experience, unlike some of the dealings I've had with the music store a-holes.

3. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    Warrior 5-string-$1499
    Alembic Epic fretless 4-$1199
    Peavey Cirrus 5-$999
    some bolt on Tobias 5-$949
    X-box-$79
    Parker Fly guitar-too much for me!(I'z playz Bass!)

4. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Pawn shop
    music shop
    internet shop

shop
    shop
    shop

You will know when you see the right deal.

5. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    I have found my best deals right here at TB.

I always seem to find that the pawn shops have over priced crap for sale as far as bass gear goes.

-Mike

6. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    I agree with you there MJ. The shops here suck. The guys have no idea that what they have is crap. I mean, anyone who sells badly cracked cymbals and even some with parts missing for 40 bucks is insane.

7. fresnorich

fresnorich

Sep 17, 2003
    Fresno, CA
    I just picked up a very clean Ampeg B-100r for $225 at a pawn shop in downtown Fresno.
    :hyper:

8. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    Brad?..............Oh, Brad, where are you?

9. theres a hohner the jack at my local pawn for $600aus...there was an ibanez jazz bass for $200aus, but when i went to get the money, by the time i got back it was gone

10. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    The Peavey T-Max is a wonderful head... I love mine, and will most likely never get rid of it. I would pick up a 2nd one though, just for redundancy :p.

Ray

11. RLT

RLT

Jul 10, 2004
    South Central OH
    Local pawn shops: OLP MM2 for $275.00 at the time Musicians Friend was selling them for $199 with free shipping. Today Crate BX 100 combo sale priced at $325. Peavey Microbass $179. Wow with deals like this no wonder I use evilbay.

12. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    I bought a beat to crap p-bass for $200 and turned around and sold it for $9500 because it was a pre-CBS 1960 Fender...

:bassist:

Well, not actually, but I do keep my eyes open...

13. pawn shops in my part of the world are very ordinary. Overpriced junk and sweaty ugly people leering at you from behing the counter.... :eek:

Sad story - a friend of mine once pawned his $1500 bass for $100!!! He was desperate for money, but what a kick in the pants!

14. Ethon

Ethon

Jan 25, 2003
    Akron, Ohio
    I was hoping this was going to be a Sublime thread. :meh:

15. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    the one by me is called cash converters. they have A LOT of different ****. usually good sound stuff(jbl, mackie, alesis)but also some crappy stuff.

i talked this dude into selling me this black mia p-bass for 400 with case. thought about it. didnt buy it. wish i had.

i jam with my friend as a kinda side thing. he blew a pa speaker he was useing. drove right there, pick up a jbl 15" [air, for 350. with cables, and stands.

usually 15-20 guitars, 4-5 basses.
    may have one-good ones at a time. high prices, but you can easily talk him down when you talk cash. the p was listed at 650. and the condition, even then was a good deal.