Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

down right cheapest acoustic

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by cone, Feb 27, 2002.

1. cone

cone Guest

Oct 13, 2001
    Georgia
    i would like to get an acoustic bass to play w/ my friends, but the cheapest one i can find is a Rogue AB-304 for $250, i want to know if theres any thing cheaper, thx

2. Zirc

Zirc

May 13, 2001
    Los Angeles
    Why do you want an acoustic? Cheap acoustics aren't good.

3. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
  4. Intrepid

Intrepid

Oct 15, 2001
    Get a Dean...they make really good budget guitars, but there still $300 or so dollars....if you really poor(teenanger without a job for instance) then just look for a used piece of crap on ebay....but cheap acoustic are the worst...

5. Expensive acoustics aren't good either, IMO. Get a Peavey Microbass or a Fender Frontman 25B and just plug in.

6. Yes, I agree. My Tacoma is gigantic and it barely fits in my car. It'd be much easier to just have a little practice amp and an electric in a gig bag.

7. yeah but sometimes a acoustic bass is needed. Say for instance playing an acoustic set with your band. We do this all the time. And I always have to be the one with the electric. I am saving up for an acoustic......I dint think they sound like crap at all. Depends on your amp, or PA. I just slap a compressor, and a Gate on it and be fine!

Any ideas for a "expensive" well-known acoustic?

8. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    Larrivee, an acoustic guitar company out of Canada, makes GREAT acoustic basses! They are relatively hand-made, and ALL solid wood. Larrivee uses Fishman pickups, too, so plugged in it will still sound great. I'm not sure, cause it's been a little while since I've seen one, but I'm thinking about $1200 for the instrument + HSC. Don't quote me on that, though!
    http://www.larrivee.com/

9. I think there's plenty of threads about "normally priced" (as opposed to cheap) ABG's available through the search feature.

10. The Fender BG29 is worth more than a second look if you MUST have an acoustic :)p ). It's cheapish and sounds fine amped up.

11. maxvalentino

maxvalentino Endorsing Artist Godin Guitars/ Thomastik-Infeld

Cheap is cheap...and they sound it! For fairly decent, and somewhat inexpensive ABGs try Dean. But, for the money, you cannot beat the Godin A4. $600-$700 used and around 1000 new. Superior tone and playability...and no feedback or rumble!
    I have two (fretted 4 and fretless 5) and they are my main basses. Check them out.
    Max

12. where can you get these basses at? Any online dealers?

13. maxvalentino

maxvalentino Endorsing Artist Godin Guitars/ Thomastik-Infeld

Try going to the Godin website (www.godinguitars.com) and click on the dealer's page...see if there is a dealer close to you (there are quite a few worldwide!)
    I have seen used (in excellent condition) at at Bass Central, Bass Northwest, and The Bass Palace...all these places have websites and do online selling.
    Best of luck...lemme know if you get a Godin!
    Max

14. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    You're kidding right? What do you think "acoustic" bands did before they started making ABGs in the 1980s?

Answer: they used an electric bass or they used an upright bass. Both work much better. ABG is all "look"; although they do have a unique tone when plugged in for anything but practicing alone they are simply not loud enough. There's a reason the upright bass is so big, you know.

I'll bet at your "acoustic" shows everybody still plugs in their guitars anyway :rolleyes:

Squier now has a cheap ABG, it's about $250.

It's hard to get an acoustic guitar for under $200 that isn't firewood, never mind an ABG. You might look for a used one...the old Ovation imported Applause ABGs were pretty good and you could probably find a used one for $200.

You'll never see a Godin for $200. They are great basses but you must plug them in. They have no soundholes which shows they understood the real need is for an acoustic sound in an amplifed situation. I've used mine on gigs where I couldn't bring my upright bass.

15. BillyBishop

BillyBishop

Feb 7, 2001
    Canada
    Acoustic basses are fine if its just you and an acoustic guitar. Any other instruments and no one will hear you.