Down to a few

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by CRazY baSsISt, Dec 26, 2000.

1. CRazY baSsISt

CRazY baSsISt

Aug 30, 2000
    I now have $440us!So i have it down to a few amps.Ampeg ba-115$430,Hartke 1415$420.Some Hartke kick backs from $345 to about $440.Would like some more suggestions in the range of $350 to about $450.I need atleast 100watts.

2. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    SWR Workingman's 12. At GC, you can talk them down real close to $400, maybe even a little less. I feel that it's a better amp than any you've named.
  3. Steve S

Steve S

Jul 26, 2000
    I have the Ampeg B100R. Works well and cost me $200 used.
  4. pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    All good suggestions. There wasn't a bad amp mentioned. The used market will give you a lot more bang for the buck. The best warrantee is that it's still a good amp after it's survived the real world. Most problems are apparent in the first few months.

Just keep in mind that for the difference in money you can have a stack for what a top end combo will cost.

Just my .02.

5. This is totally a matter of personal experience.. but whenever I've played with the SWR WM 12 or WM 15 combos, they've always seemed a bit cold and lifeless to me. Don't get me wrong, I don't hate SWR (their high end stuff is absolutely killer) and the Workingman's series are very well built amps that are capable of putting out some good tones. I've seen no less an artist than Michael Manring get awesome tone out of a WM amp (no idea why.. but he played outside of a farm house in central Wisconsin.. he had a guitarist and a violinist with him.. they played a set as a trio, and then Manring did solo.. his rig consisted of an SWR WM 12 combo with an EV 15" extension cab.. and his sound sat very well in both the trio and all by itself).. but for me they just lack that certain something when I play through them.

Everyone has a different idea of what they want to sound like when they play, so get out there and try out every amp that you can that is in your price range and is powerful enough, ideally with a bass that is similar to yours. You just might end up loving some amp made by a company you've never heard of.
  6. afroman

Aug 31, 2000
    Brooklyn, NY
    In the July 99 issue of Bass Player they tested some combo amps. They rated them from 1-5 (with five being the highest) I'll tell you the results of some of them:

1. Hartke Kickback 12 (120watts)
    construction:4, electronics:4, portability:4,
    sound:4, value:4

2. SWR Workingman 12 (100watts,120w with extension cab)
    construction:5, electronics:5, portability:4.5,
    sound:5, value:5. It also earned Best Built and Best Tone Awards.

3. Hartke 2115 (120watts at 8ohms, 200watts at 4ohms)
    the same results as the Hartke Kickback 12 but it got a 3.5 in construction.

4. Nemesis NC112P (225watts)
    construction:5, electronics:5 , portability:3,
    sound:4.5, value: 4.5. It earned Best Buy, Best Tone, Best Built

I hope it's not too much information. Good Luck...
    Feel free to e-mail me if you have further questions.
  7. Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000