1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Down to one Fender.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by WayneS, Mar 20, 2010.

1. WayneS

WayneS

Apr 9, 2007
    Virginia
    Had to sell one of my P basses and an amp to get the money to take my son to see Iron Maiden.

It sucks to be poor! :(

It will be worth it though when I see his face as Maiden takes the stage.

2. Exploiter8

Exploiter8 Demons run when a good man goes to war

Jan 18, 2010
    Midwest
    Commercial FREE!
    Is that the group with a 10 foot (or taller) monster-type character that walks around the audience during the show? If so, I saw them when they opened for 38 Special, of all people! This was the '80's after all. When Maiden was done, the place darn near cleared out. Fine by me, I was there for 38 Special!

If not, I'm just having another senior moment. And no, I'm not referring to some Mexican dude!

Either way, enjoy the show.

X8

3. You mean eddie?

eddie.jpg

4. Jefenator

Jefenator

Aug 22, 2008
    Oregon
    ... well, good memories are always a good investment.

5. ugly_bassplayer

ugly_bassplayer Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2009
    Québec
    You had to sell a bass & an Amp for Maiden tickets??
    I think you overpaid those tickets.

6. WayneS

WayneS

Apr 9, 2007
    Virginia
    I dont care what you think.

This may be my sons only chance to see them.

7. Are the tickets really THAT expensive? Just make him go to the grass :p

It'll be something he'll remember forever though. Most Fender's can be replaced, memories can't.

8. WayneS

WayneS

Apr 9, 2007
    Virginia
    Tickets are *that* expensive when I'm laid off.

9. LutherHeggs00

LutherHeggs00

Apr 11, 2006
    He'll remember this for life, and will value it as much as you do. And if he knows you sold some gear just to spend time with him, he'll know you value this time more than gear.

You're doing what's important. You're a good father. Kudos with zero regrets. More parents should have their priorities straight.

Now go and enjoy the show! :bassist:

10. WayneS

WayneS

Apr 9, 2007
    Virginia
    Thanks. Thats what I was hoping to hear.

11. J. Crawford

J. Crawford Supporting Member

Feb 15, 2008
    PA
    Great father man! Instruments come and go, but youre only a kid once. Believe me, I know. ;)

Kudos man. This is something any good father would do.

12. Aspidites

Aspidites

Oct 20, 2009
    Berkeley CA
    More reinforcement proving to me that I should never have kids (not that I have ever wanted any).

13. WayneS

WayneS

Apr 9, 2007
    Virginia
    lol... Children make you change your priorities!

14. Aspidites

Aspidites

Oct 20, 2009
    Berkeley CA
    That's what I am afraid of.;)

Plus I am not sure a houseful of Boas, Pythons and LOTS of beer is the best place to raise kids.

15. hmmm obviously you do since you posted on a public forum... :eyebrow:

16. jonnymac

jonnymac Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2009
    Lehigh Valley, PA
    You did the right thing. Your son should remember that concert for the rest of his life. My dad never took me to a concert but we'd go to a ballgame or two a year. I go to 10-15 baseball games a year now but the memorable ones are the ones I went to with my dad. He may not ever tell you about it but he will appreciate it.

17. Simo98

Simo98

Jun 18, 2009
    QLD, Australia
    Good on you.

You'll be able to get him back for the rest of your life now, when you need him to pick you up from the airport or whatever 'Remember the time I sold my prized Fender so you could go to Iron Maiden'

Your a good dad :)

18. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

Perfectly said!

If you don't take him, later on when you are too old to be "cool" you'll wish you did.

I spent a fortune to see and go backstage to my son's favorite band Hedley a couple of year back. Typical punk-ish teen stuff.

He still talks about it and he actually really appreciates the fact that I took him to see a band I really don't like... and spent tons of $$$$ doing it. For him, he will remember it forever, for me is was a crap show but I made my son happy.:hyper::crying: (insert tears here).:spit:

19. Luckie

Luckie

Jan 1, 2010
    Northfield MN
    Definitely a good call. My dad took me to see Yes when I was 14 for my birthday.
    Best concert ever.
    It's definitely worth it to spend some time with your son, make some good memories.
    He'll be grown up, going out into the world and you won't be able to take him to anything anymore. Cherish it brother.

20. You're a better man than I. .....Anything BUT my '78 Fender P.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Nov 27, 2020