Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

down tune my bass

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by backtoschool, Oct 26, 2000.

1. backtoschool

backtoschool

Oct 24, 2000
    I've had my bass for a week and am interested in down tuning to C or D. I have a korg tuner but i cannot figure out how to down tune with it (model GA-20). If someone could help me with that or better yet, tell me how to do it by ear would be greatly appreciated!

2. hell_awaits

hell_awaits

May 2, 2000
    Just hit the flat button to take your normally tuned string down a half-step. So two flats would be drop D, and four flats would be drop C.

3. backtoschool

backtoschool

Oct 24, 2000
    Thanks, it worked great!

4. If your bass has trouble staying in tune after tuning down,take it to a repairman/tech so they can adjust intonation,neck relief,etc...Some basses are able to handle the tune down better than others,that's why I had to resort to getting a second bass.I hope that won't be your case,sure get's expensive.

5. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

Maybe it was just my imagination or my particular basses, but I had better luck tuning down to C when I used the heaviest guage strings I could find. They stayed in tune better and had a really aggressive sound. COme to think of it, I seem to recall that I read that was what the bass player of Sepultura had to do for the album "Roots." It was in an article in Guitar World magazine which discussed how the band tuned down to C and what adjustments they had to make. I never knew bands tuned to C before I read that article. I translated it for my band and we tried it too.

Jason Oldsted

6. Did it work with your band? I opted for a 5 string bass so I had a "natural" B. I guess us metal heads are lazy at times, makes it so much easier. Plus our band doesn't play many songs in C. Although Roots is tuned weird the main riff in the songs is B (for bass mainly and you can get away with a B. :D I know I've done it!!!), yet as you've stated about Sepultura's tunings, it has become clear now why it sounds so fat and loose. Cheers.

Merls

7. My tone on my StingRay has changed due to tuning down a whole step and sometimes I drop to C and it's beautiful. I'm glad that someone asked the question about tuning.BTW "Roots" is an awesome album.It's good to know that you guys have listened to it;my second guitarist played it for me years ago and it taught me some new things.Well, enough said, I'm probably rambling anyways.

8. No ****e. After hearing Straighthate on a compilations album, i have never looked back, all the albums later, i'm onto Soulfly! hehehehe

Merls

Long Live the Natural B

9. Cheeky_Pete

Cheeky_Pete

Apr 20, 2006
    Ok, my problem peoples !!
    (Overview first)

1 - Five String Bass
    2 - Heavy Hardcore band
    3 - Heavy Strings
    4 - Drop C tuning makes the strings touch the fret board
    5 - If I increase the height of the action the low strings break while thrashing out....
    6 - If I tune up, I don't have my "A" (b string, if tuned standard)

I've got a guitar techy looking at it as I speak.....

ANY THOUGHTS ??

Cheeky

10. Geezerman

Geezerman

Nov 28, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    if your breaking strings because of a normal string height, your not playing right, that would be more technique related :p Eh I put sounding good over looking good any day.

11. echo3111

echo3111

Feb 3, 2008
    You need Warwick's Vampyre Dark Lord. Top string is 175 gauge. Your fingers will feel like virgins again while they scab over.

12. johnny227

johnny227

Dec 21, 2008
    UK
    Hey, I will post the same as I told someone else.
    For Drop C you need to tune: C, G, C, F
    Use this site http://www.howtoplaybass.co.uk/online_bass_tuner.html

Unfortunately, some tuners don't work in C as the people who made them didn't include a C, lol, as they think everyone keeps in E