1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

down tuning a 4 string

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by dnarock, Apr 9, 2009.

1. What is the dif between 34 inch scale and 35 for down tuning does it really matter that much ? Im talking tone not comfort and who sells a good one ?

2. ONe should never tune a bass differently than the way God intended. EADG. And there is no other scale length besides 34", your thinking of guitars :)

And now prepare for a long stream of actual answers.

3. lol

4. my more accurate answer is that I find a very small difference in feel. MY priamry basses were 35s for son long that I thought they didn't feel any different at all. Now that I am playing more 34s as well I feel it, but its not a big deal to me. I know you weren't asking about that, but its there. Soundwise extra string tension will allow you to tune town more with the standard guage strings and not have it get all sloppy. If going up in string guage on your four is not a big deal 34 will work fine. Sound wise you might notice a difference in clarity of tone, but with my unsophistcated ears I can't. that being said I have considered buying a 35" four for this very thing simply because I am starting to feel that I don't really need a 5 and I would prefer the longer scale to drop tune.

5. well I have two 35in 5 strings and I have one tuned standard and one half step down I run kinda heavy strings 135,115,95.75.50 on both so i was thinking on a 4 string I would run about the same without the 135

6. I used to play drop C tuning on a fender P bass with stock strings. Got real muddy sounding and the feel of the strings was to mushy for me. However it had good sound for the metal I was playing with only one guitar. Problem was I got lost when we added another guitarist. I boughta 55-01 and kept the stock strings and it worked great. The thicker strings would probably be a bit more taught and less sloppy feeling, but I would think youd geta little more punch and attack by playing those guage strings on a 35. Those guages on either one probably wouldn't be too bad, but like I said, I think I'd prefer the longer scale.

7. who makes a good 35 in 4 string anybody ?

8. Dean makes afew really cool pointy metal looking 35 4s (one called the razorback I beleive is freakin awesome. GASsing big time). They are the only big name one that comes to mind but I know there are others I just don't know or care that much. Some of the big booo-teak guys offer it as an option.

9. I play an Ibanez SRX390. It has a 35" scale. I play in C standard.

It is awesome and i love it. I play fast thrashy crusty metal and the neck is also super fast. Just find some good strings and go to it!

10. I think there's a lot more definition to be had in 35" scale basses in general, especially if downtuning. The Peavey Cirrus, Millennium, and G/GV are all 35" scale.

11. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    Check the used market for a Yamaha RBX-774 (not the lower price-and-quality 374) - 35" scale length on a 4-string, and a killer quality bass for what will likely be a pretty low price. I purchased a 775 5-string while they were being discontinued and was so impressed at the quality a week later I bought another to defret, and fretted and fretless "Brother & Sister" were my main basses for a solid 4 years.

12. I have a Washburn Dime DB40 thats 35 in scale but its not really my style for its shape anymore so its in a local shop for sale thats why im looking for somthing more comfortable .

13. In that case The Ibby or a Peavey Cirrus (only peavey I ever liked) would be better choices. My buddy has a 35 scale yamaha 5 (not sure of tte model, not up on yamahas) and it has an amazing neck. He got it pretty cheap and it really kicks. I'm not a fan of any of those brands personally, but can't deny they make decent stuff (and inthe cirrus' case really really decent stuff)