Down tuning a shortie

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by LightForce104, Jul 19, 2013.

1. LightForce104

LightForce104 Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2012
    Hawaii/Washington
    Hey all,

My band has thrown together a list of songs that we want to play. Problem is, most of the songs require Drop D or Drop E flat or some weird stuff like that, and I have a shortie bass. I have been told that different strings should help me with this. I'm in need of a new set anyways.

So, it would be much appreciated if you could recommend some strings to alleviate the floppyness and pitchyness.

2. knuckle_head

knuckle_head Commercial User

Jul 30, 2002
    Seattle
    Owner; Knuckle Guitar Works & Circle K Strings
    How short is short?

For every half step you drop you should increase the gauge by one size on bottom.

If you use a .105 for E now you'll want a .110 for Eb, or a .115 for D to keep about the same tension.

3. LightForce104

LightForce104 Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2012
    Hawaii/Washington
    Short is 30 inches.

Well, I've only got the one bass, and we do stuff in a bunch of different tunings, so...

4. mbelue

mbelue

Dec 11, 2010
    One bass per tuning was the only way I have been happy with tension in all tunings. Besides its an excuse to buy more basses. :)

5. J Posega

J Posega Cat Dad and Dingwall Enthusiast Supporting Member

Jul 16, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    I'd settle on one tuning that you could play all the songs in, with use of either a capo or drop tuning your lowest string. Or change the songs to standard/ drop D.

It would suck majorly to go from Drop D, to Drop Db, to Eb standard one song to the next. Nobody will want to listen to you guys tune.