Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Down tuning strings???

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by deichman, Mar 4, 2005.

1. deichman

deichman

Jun 1, 2003
    Kansas
    Has anyone ever heard of Labella "down tune" bass strings? I saw them in a magazine recently but there is no info. on their website, nor have I been able to find them on the web. My band, www.endofstory.com plays in drop tuning. We drop the entire instrument one full step. Labella says these are designed just for down tuning. On a couple of my basses there is so little string tension that I can't get enough relief from the neck. The truss rod's as loose as it can get and the neck is either dead flat or has a bit of reverse bow, neither of which is ideal for me. I use d'addario EXP's and I do like them. Anyone out there with ideas? I'd appreciate your feedback.

Check us out in Australlia at

http://www.mp3.com.au/artist.asp?id=6191

Thanks,

deichman

2. Marshes

Marshes

Sep 20, 2004
    I havent heard of the down-tune strings, but a way you could resolve your problem is to see if you can find heavier gauge strings.

3. As far as I know, you should NEVER adjust the truss rod for string tension. Have you tried thicker string gauges?

4. deichman

deichman

Jun 1, 2003
    Kansas
    I understand the truss rod. I didn't adjust the truss for string tension. I adjusted it for neck relief. With the down tuning I have to loosen the rod completely just to get the neck playable, but only on two of my basses. Just so happens those are the one's I use for the rock band with the down tuning. Yes, I understand the heavier gauge strings will add tension, but I prefer the medium gauges, 45/50 to 130/135. The tid bit I saw on these labella "down tune" strings was in the "Guitar world's Bass Player" magazine. They claim their strings are designed specifically for drop tuning and add more tension due to the hard temper/high grade stainless and the hexagon core. They mention the 4-string gauge of 54 to 111, medium heavy. First time I have seen them advertised. Thank you for the suggestions.

deichman

http://www.mp3.com.au/artist.asp?id=6191

5. slugworth

slugworth Banned

Jun 12, 2003
    So. Calif.
    I tune down to D on some songs and use 50-110 Rotosounds RS-66LE's
    They work out perfectly, no truss adjsutment needed.

Slug

6. lowphatbass

lowphatbass ****

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    I play all my BGs down a half step and know a few guys that play their's down a whole step, which is what you are doing. Most basses with at least a 34" string length should be "playable" tuned down a whole step, if the bass you are tuning down isn't I would choose another. Maybe have a dedicated bass for this in your "quiver', that way you can set it up just for this(intonation, etc)...Good Luck!!