1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Down tuning

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Donnypizzle, Jun 28, 2007.

1. Donnypizzle

Donnypizzle

Jun 28, 2007
    right guys, i play in a death metal band, who down tune our guitars down to A flat, ive tried all kinds of set ups to make my bass sound as nice as possible, though my strings still sound horrible the majority of the time!! any ideas???

2. TheBassBetween

TheBassBetween

Jun 25, 2005
    Well, I see this a couple of ways.

You could get another bass that you downtune, and throw lower gauge strings on it (BEAD sorta thing).

You could get higher tension strings so that they're not as floppy when you downtune.

You could get a hipshot extender (http://hipshotproducts.com/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=260) for easy downtuning.

And I'm sure there are other options. That's just what came to. I think for me, if I'm playing downtuned about as much as standard tuning, then I would rig up another bass.

3. Z-Fran

Z-Fran

Jun 28, 2007
    Green Bay
    i know warwick makes a bass thats tuned F-sharp, Low B, E, and then A, so they probably make replacement strings for those and if you can score soime of those just throw 'em on a four stringer and beat the s*** out of a fretted A-flat rather than the open string drop tuning.

4. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 28, 2021