1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Down Tuning

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Toast1122, Sep 19, 2008.

1. Toast1122

Toast1122

Sep 19, 2008
    Do you have to get a heavier guage string for tuning to drop c? yes or no could someone recomend me a nice brand for strings. im using elixers now

2. spaz21387

spaz21387

Feb 25, 2008
    Portland oregon
    I use ernie ball hybrids. The E string is a 105. I can tune down to CGCF and CFA#D#.

3. All 3 of my basses are tuned CGCF. A while back I started using a "custom gauge" set of SIT Powerwounds in 50 / 70 / 90 / 110 for that tuning. The 110 works fine for the low C, and has just about the same tension as a 125 tuned to low B. SIT will make "custom gauge" sets at customer request through your local dealer at the same cost (about $17/18) as a standard set.

Here's a string tension chart:
    http://www.daddario.com/Resources/JDCDAD/images/tension_chart.pdf

4. magickbass

magickbass Guest

May 24, 2008
    I have DR High Beam thick guage, .50, .70, .90, .110 and I can tune it DAEB like the thicker 4 of a 5 string with no problems.