1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Down tuning

Discussion in 'Ask Anthony Wellington [archive]' started by Thomas Kievit, May 29, 2012.

1. Thomas Kievit

Thomas Kievit Guest

May 19, 2012
    Hello Anthony,

I have a small question about down tuning your bass. Around the end of the summer I wanna buy a 6 string bass guitar and tune it down with one step (so A-D-G-C-F-Bb). So by down tuning the bass, the notes move up with 2 frets. Does this mean I have to start all over by learning scales / apreggio's etc. and so on?

Small example : If I would like to play the B-major scale while the bass is down tuned, the position of that scale moves up with 2 frets, meaning that I have to learn where the correct notes are (etc, etc).

Sorry if it sounds a bit silly, can't find a really good way to discribe my problem.

2. Clef_de_fa

Clef_de_fa Guest

Dec 25, 2011
    If you know how a scale is constructed you can play one from anywhere on the fingerboard.

3. Thomas Kievit

Thomas Kievit Guest

May 19, 2012
    So with that said, it means that it basicly doesn't matter which tuning you play, the construction stays the same?

4. Ant Wellington

Ant Wellington

Jan 4, 2011
    Maryland
    I think your question was answered but I'll add this.

Knowing how to play a scale and knowing what makes a 'particular' scale what it is and knowing the notes on your bass are 3 very different things.

I'd suggest that you make sure that you know the difference between the 3. Especially since you're detuning.

-anthony

5. Clef_de_fa

Clef_de_fa Guest

Dec 25, 2011
    yeah as long as you stay in fourth tuning, the construction will stay the same

BUT if you want to know the note you play and not just regurgitate a pattern you will need to take some time like saying out loud the name of the note as you play them.

6. Thomas Kievit

Thomas Kievit Guest

May 19, 2012
    Alrighty then, I'll put some time in those things ;)