1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Downbeat & Downtempo Music

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by markjazzbassist, Nov 12, 2006.

1. markjazzbassist

markjazzbassist Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Lakewood, OH
    I've really been getting into these two genres lately. I've been listening to a lot of Air, Zero 7, and Royksopp. They are very chill and relaxing, and some of the bass work is pretty cool too. Anyone else here a fan of this genre? What artists do you listen to? Thoughts, Comments?

2. go to my site:
    http://www.orange-records.com

I have a couple of downtempo tracks on there... not quite chill music, but a couple of urban-style downtempo ones

check out dubafrica, seale vs regan, and a few others...

and my track "kamloops" just had a video made for it... it's pretty chill. one of my more downtempo tracks...

/p

3. I'm very fond of Tape, and most everything their artsy label Häpna releases. The Häpna site has some downloadable mp3:s, and I just listened to an excerpt of a "3/4 has been eliminated"-tune that's just beautiful. A visit is highly recommended, though none of their artists are close to as pop-y as Air or Röyksopp, many are downbeat and downtempo.

Oh, and don't miss this Tape video, made by the artist Wisut Ponnimit:
    http://www.kunst.no/berthling/tape/sdlarge.html

4. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    I like this genre of music overall, though the repetitive basslines can sometimes bore me to tears. It's the modern equivalent of Esquivel-style lounge pop; one step trendier than "smooth" jazz and slightly more creative from a compositional standpoint.

I'm this genre, I'm currently listening to Shrift, Plej and Brazilian Girls (though their most recent release doesn't hold a candle to their debut).

5. I think you might want to go into the world of ambient. There's some great stuff out there.

6. markjazzbassist

markjazzbassist Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Lakewood, OH
    yeah thats cool stuff. i use to own aphex twins ambient works albums, but i don't anymore. i gotta get those back.

7. Sigor Ros comes to mind when I think down tempo and relaxing.

8. whoatherechunk

whoatherechunk

Apr 4, 2008
    royskopp is the ****. i'm bumping this up!

9. I like the stuff that's like trip hop but with more trip and less hop, if that makes any sense.

10. Syeknom

Syeknom

Oct 17, 2004
    Leuven, Belgium
    I've got a 3/4 Has Been Eliminated album - it's really very very good. Not sure if "beautiful" would be the first word to spring to mind, but it's an awesome album.

11. A Year of the Aural Gauge Operation? That might actually be my favourite Häpna album, of the ones I've heard. And I do think it is beautiful, in a haunting sort of way. :)

They're quite far from Røyksopp though.

12. Syeknom

Syeknom

Oct 17, 2004
    Leuven, Belgium
    That's the one :) It is wonderful

Ever listened to any of these bands? Think you'll really dig them if you like 3/4 Has Been Eliminated:

Part Timer
    Jasper TX
    Tim Hecker
    Philip Jeck

13. Well, I've heard Jasper TX and Tim Hecker (and like them both), but not the other two. Will check them out, thanks for the tip!

Another band that would probably appeals to fans of 3/4HadBeenEliminated is Madrigali Magri. Giuseppe Ielasi is yet another artist who's done music in this vein who's well worth listening to.

14. Love this genre. And the repetitive parts don't bother me for some reason. I think that's kind of the point. It's very "static" music -- like Erik Satie's weird little piano pieces.

15. Stachio

Stachio Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2002
    Atlanta
    Bohren Und Der Club of Gore might be worth a mention. Extremely slow (!!!), minimalist, and dark music. Great band. I highly recommend Black Earth.
    I'll definitely be checking back on this thread. Some great stuff mentioned so far.