Downgrade Jazz bass from Professional to Player ?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ultra60, Apr 16, 2019.

1. I own a beautiful Fender Professional Jazz bass. No issues with it. I'm just not a Jazz bass guy, although I do like the thought of having one around. Thinking the Player series might work for me.

I'm not worried about the hardware and pickup differences. I would be curious to hear if anybody can compare the necks on these, or even with the Am Std jazz. I'd probably say I preferred the Am Std neck over the Pro... probably due to the frets.

Also, what is really given up by losing the graphite rods in the neck?

Thanks.

2. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol

If it's only to have one around just in case, a Squier will do a fine job.
    The JB is a very simple design. It doesn't take much to succeed at it.
    Invest the money into your favorite instrument.

3. garp

garp

Feb 7, 2009
    Connecticut USA
    The Players are certainly nice, but you'll likely take a loss unloading a used Pro. Fret height aside, do you really feel that the instrument is "too nice" for what you need?
    I own MIAs, MIMs and CIJs – none of which use graphite rods, and all of which are very stable year-round in a Northeastern U.S. seaside climate. IMHO, by losing the graphite rods, you sacrifice the ability to crack open the neck in a moment of desperation when you run out of No.2 pencils.

4. B-Mac

B-Mac Just like Aretha Sang... R-E-S-P-E-C-T Supporting Member

In that case does it even have to be a Fender?
    There are so many inexpensive Jazz ‘style’ basses out there now.

Ekulati and ultra60 like this.
  5. I got the Pro for a pretty good price. I've gone back and forth on selling it. Thinking about options. It's certainly more than I need at this time.

Now that is funny!

spufman and MateoG78 like this.
  6. Not really a fan of Squier. Have owned one, and played a couple others. They don't really speak to me.

7. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Unless you can get what you want used at a good price, it's not worth the hit you would take selling your present bass.

8. Agreed. I rarely buy new. I'd be waiting on something to come along at the right price. Just looking to see if anybody has done something similar and noticed a huge difference in play-abiliy, etc.

9. Warpeg

Warpeg

Jun 20, 2005
    Ohio
    I went from a CS Jazz to a MIM Jazz. Truth be told, the differences were minimal. Sure, the CS was made with better...well...everything, but the MIM worked every bit as well for me after a pickup change and a little fret work.

jazz3625tonic and ultra60 like this.
  10. I had one of those MIM Turquoise P basses and thought it was pretty good, yet the pickup was not so good. I did sell it, but this is what got me thinking about the Jazz. Not using it, but thought I could pick up something decent that I would not have a ton of dough wrapped up in.

11. Warpeg

Warpeg

Jun 20, 2005
    Ohio
    In my experience, you can’t go wrong with a MIM. They’re the standard workhorse of the industry and are the benchmark for all other basses in that price range. :thumbsup:

Kipp Harrington likes this.
  12. chris_b

chris_b

Jun 2, 2007
    Stop!! Find a bass that you really do want to pick up and play. A bass you just think you "want around" shouldn't even be on your list of things to own!

13. Maynjo

Maynjo Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2014
    Jacksonville, NC
    IMO, you already have the Pro Jazz, you should really just keep it and save the hassle of selling and rebuying. For years, my main player was a Fender MIM jazz bass and I can tell you my Pro Jazz was a HUGE upgrade when it comes to fit and playability. The neck on the thing is just unbeatable.

wboyd68, Pet Sounds and joebar like this.
  14. kdogg

kdogg

Nov 13, 2005
    Ohio
    Although you may not be able to currently quantify it, I’m guessing you’ll miss the Pro if you downgrade. They are really nice instruments. Will it really be worth a couple hundred dollars in the end? Only you can answer that question.

15. joebar

joebar

Jan 10, 2010
    Keep the pro.
    This is a problem that needs no solution.
    Fender hit some home runs AFAIC with the professional series.

Selim, mikeswals and Pet Sounds like this.
  16. _Some Dude

_Some Dude

Sep 14, 2016
    With the Pro you can adjust the truss rod with the bass still strapped on and the saddle screws don’t vibrate loose and randomly fall out.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2019
  17. codiak

codiak

Mar 16, 2017
    Madison, Wisconsin
    I had a Player P, the edges of the fretboard were very sharp and the ends of the frets stuck out and made it hard to slide up and down the neck without catching on them. I’m thinking I had a dud but I haven’t played any other Player series basses.

I have had very good luck with the MIM Standard P’s. If I were you, I would keep the Am Pro and get an MIM Standard which can be found dirt cheap nowadays and just have 2 basses.

18. I’ve had some very expensive basses and some very cheap ones. For me, the super expensive ones did nothing better than my mid priced basses. I guess mid-priced is relative though. For example, I find my Lakland Skyline DJ4 to be amazing. Love that bass. Don’t need anything more (though I have 12 other basses...). My Skyline 44-01 Dlx is also a great bass, with active electronics and a different feel/sound. Again, amazing mid priced basses. Playing anything higher end does nothing for my tone, playability or enjoyment. That said, a DJ4 isn’t exactly cheap for many players, so that might be considered an expensive bass.

I have a ‘75 Electra that’s beat to heck. It’s a whole lot of fun. Not near as nice as the DJ4, but still fun to play. I had a Schecter bass I sold for $250 - it played and sounded real good. It wasn’t my style/feel/tone, but the quality was there to absolutely gig with it.

You might do well downgrading - if the numbers work out for you. You might like the cheaper bass better.

19. Consider the Fender 60s J (or 70s J). I played the Pro Series and Player Series and the 60s won, hands down. Great feel and the neck is incredible! Got it home and ran it through my rig... stock pups are very strong. Very pleased. 5000A10F-0A27-4CB2-8549-87DF7BA1B69D.png

mikecd1 and G19Tony like this.
  20. tpaul

tpaul Supporting Member

Mar 19, 2011
    Vermont
    Ahhh, it's only a jazz bass. A Squier will do just fine.

Now, if we were talking about a precision bass... That's a different story.

Hd0521 likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 20, 2021