Downgrading my Rig to 300w- advice needed

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Rhythmbug, Feb 22, 2006.

1. Rhythmbug

Jan 22, 2006
    London UK
    Hey Peeps

Seeing my last band fell apart and I don't have the need for a powerful rig anymore I'm thinking about selling it and getting something smaller. I have a trace elliot AH600SMX and SWR goliath III - not huge by a gigging mans standards but I don't gig at the moment! And plus I'm going travelling later this year so I'm not going to need 600w for sometime at least.

I'm thinking maybe a 2x12 and 300 - 350w head could be a solution. Has anybody done this or have advice for a good 300w rig. I hope to have change left over after selling my current rig and buying the new one. I like tube amps but i'm not overly fussy, value for money is more critical....but should be punchy, crisp highs, clear & defined tone. I play a stingray.

cheers for any help
  2. Crockettnj

Sep 2, 2005
    North NJ
    i wouldnt go at it looking for a specific wattage. that said, i really dig my eden wt300
  3. msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    +1. There's a lot of seriously good portable stuff out there that's lighter than your TE but more than 300w. I'd be looking at measurements and weight ratings before anything else. Some of the Eden stuff, the Thunderfunk, the Aguilar AG500, etc would all be great.

Plus that AH600SMX is a nice head and still fetches a pretty decent price on the used market. You potentially have a good sized budget to play with once you sell it.
  4. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    I wonder if you would do more for your overall portability by keeping the 600 W head and finding an applicable 2x10 cab.
  5. Bassin' 'Round

Bassin' 'Round Banned

Apr 30, 2005
    You say you like tubes. The Mesa 400 or 400+ are as light/portable as tube amps come, I think. The (about) 300 watts you can get from them is plenty loud. And good bang for the buck (or whatever your currency of coice).
  6. shanmag

Jul 27, 2005
    keep in mind he's from australia so the mesa 400+ retails at ~$4000 and they'd be pretty rare in the used market
  7. Rhythmbug

Jan 22, 2006
    London UK
    yes valid points on portability and weight!
    aguilar are great but too pricey, the AG500 retails for $3000 here. I definately want to sell the TE, its just too damn heavy and bulky. I might try some out some eden heads.

I did a quick search on the thunderfunk....this is alot better than what i was planning on but wow think I am in love....found an aussie dealer too! price on their website is still a bit high though, sent them an email.

on the power issue though, if i get another 500-600w head i'll need a cab matched to that correct? i've heard its not wise to mix & match power ratings on cabs to amps
  8. illidian

Jul 2, 2004
    In that range, I would look hard at a Genz-Benz Neo-Pak 3.5

If it's anything like my GBE600, it's a very loud 350 watts. As in, more comparable to the volume of a Mesa Walkabout Scout than an Ampeg B2R.

Clear, defined, and punchy, are the characteristics of Genz-Benz.

It will do crisp highs. I run my GBE600 with Treble cut (six notches, about a three out of ten [or ten o' clock]) but with the H.F. Attack on, which gives me crisp, sharp, attacking highs that are very natural at the same time.
  9. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    If you like the sound of your rig...keep it!!! If you like the sound of your rig but want something more portable, get a Goliath III Jr.

If you don't have a good selection of used gear in your area and have to buy new, you might have to kick in extra money to buy a smaller amp... Besides, a 600 watt amp is only a 600 watt amp if you load it properly and turn it way up. Turn it down just enough to notice a volume change and it's a 300 watt amp, free of charge.

A 2x12 isn't going to be much (if any) smaller than your 4x10 and perhaps only a little lighter.

If you want to go the 12 route, consider buying a 1x12. That way you have the small cabinet for those situations and still have your Goliath III when you need it.
  10. How about the Eden head of your choice and single or two D112XLT cabs. That would be very portable, they even have a combo that combines that cab with one of their 400 watt heads or something I am pretty sure? That would be my choice.
  11. joegeezer

Mar 9, 2005
    Northern Wisconsin
    Avatar Club#12 Eden Club Lucky# 13--USA Peavey Club#37 Carvin Club#5
  12. Rhythmbug

Jan 22, 2006
    London UK
    agreed forking out extra $$$ for something smaller is not a wise choice. Thats why bang for buck factor is high on the priority list. the goliath III is a bit difficult to carry up and down stairs by myself, got a lower back that doesn't appreciate it....i think (hope) a 2x12 would just be enough to handle slightly easier, I'll have to check dimensions & weight

I've read some reviews of the Eden combos that rate it rather average.....bit more keen on separate cab & head. I know of a store near me that stocks eden, I'll check it out on the weekend.

Genz Benz, hmm I'll look into it but have to find a dealer (quick google search didn't reveal much)

tx guys
  13. illidian

Jul 2, 2004
    Genz-Benz has a single Australian dealer. Straight from ,
    Music Link Australia
    29 South Corporate Avenue
    Rowville, Victoria
    Phone: 03-9765-6565
    Fax: 03-9765-6566

They're fantasic, but try one before you buy.

The Eden recommendations are great as well. Of all the amps I've played, Eden is in the top three with a solid-state power section (Genz-Benz is first, followed by Eden and GK tied for second). Small, light, powerful, and great tone to go with it.

I agree that the SWR Goliath cabinets are a bit of a pain to move. Eighty-nine pounds, and nearly eighteen and a half inches deep. My old Peavey Black Widow is roughly the same dimensions (mine is an inch shallower, and inch and a half wider, and a few inches taller) but fifteen pounds lighter. It's a deadlift-only cabinet and I would think your Goliath is much of the same.
  14. Rhythmbug

Jan 22, 2006
    London UK
    hey mate thanks for that, musiclink are the aust distributor .....through that i found a local shop that has a Genz Benz GBE 400 head. Man I love the internet. haha.
    Quick bit of research reveals some favourable opinions on this head, and its lightweight at 23 pounds. VERY well priced too. I will try this out on saturday!! The same dealer is adversing *on special* a goliath III on their website for $2700AUD....what a screaming ripoff!!!! Hopefully their intersted in my 2nd hand goliath as I only hoped to get $1400 for it...

Hopefully the Eden dealer has a NC410 combo as I really want to try one of those for myself.

Thanks fellas!!!
  15. illidian

Jul 2, 2004
    The GBE400 is a real winner. It's much of the same as my GBE600, but the GBE600 has a tube pre-amp that is blendable with the FET in the 400. I'm not sure how the GBE400/600/750/1200 power section will compare to the Neo-Pak 3.5, but the power section in the GBE line is amazing. After you try it, you'll know what I'm talking about.

If you could swing it and like the GBE400, it may be worth it to look into the GBE600 or 750 (the 600 will add the tube pre-amp that is blendable with the FET [same as in the 400], and the 750 is much of the same except it has a different EQ for each channel). Although they are even heavier, at 25 and 33 pounds respectively.

Definately give it a try. I have not found an amp I like more. :bassist:
  16. dnburgess

Jul 20, 2003
    Sydney, Australia
    Proprietor: Bass People, Green Square Music
    As far as portability goes, it doesn't get much better than the new Acoustic Image Series 3. There's the Clarus at 400W or Focus at 800W - both 2kg.
  17. If you go Eden I would send an email to Guy at in Melbourne, I got my Wt550 for $2000 from there which is a hell of a lot cheaper then the rrp.
  18. dave_bass5

May 28, 2004
    London, UK.
    How about a Mark Bass LMII and a schroeder 12+
    I would say that would be very portable and give you around 450watts.
  19. that sounds like good idea too, the only Mark Bass dealer I know of up here is Music Focus, in Capalaba.
  20. dave_bass5

May 28, 2004
    London, UK.
    Cant help you there as im in england.
    Im thinking of getting the LMII to replace my ABM300 EVOII. Although size isnt an issue i wnat a bit more headroom and have heard good things about the MB amps
    Good luck with what ever you get