Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Download my band's new song "Dave Coulier"

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by dancehallclasher, Dec 13, 2002.

1. Full House fans will definitely want to check this one out. It's the title track from the recently released Zack Morrissey EP (our first) entitled "Dave Coulier and Other Assorted Love Songs."

Recording was completely DIY, and none of the tracks were compressed (yet - we'll probably do a remix) so it doesn't sound as slick as it could. Still, I'm pleased with it.

right click -> save as on the link:
    http://www.resnet.wm.edu/~ijwrig/Zack_Morrissey-Dave_Coulier.mp3

i don't know how long my bandwidth will hold up, but hopefully you'll all get to hear it.

2. Damn, that Rumblefish sounds amazing!

Vocals need to be higher in the mix and the snare and kick could definitely use some compression, but you guys can always fix that later.

3. you think? i thought the vocals were almost too high and the drums needed to be louder. well, whatever, it'll work out.

oh, and i forgot to mention, i did all the manly falsetto background vox. oooooohhhhh yeah.

4. oddentity

oddentity

Nov 20, 2000
    Philly
    Sounds great! What did you use to record it? Is the bass direct?

5. If you compress the hell out of the drums, you can get 'em way, way louder. It's the old Motown trick.

6. Yogi Bear

Yogi Bear Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2000
    I like it, very Built to Spill-ish.

Ditto with Pete on the Compression for the drums

7. reverend rumblefish -> peavey firebass 700 -> one bag end S15-D. i think the mic was a bass drum mic. recorded into a digital 8 track recorder.

thanks guys, we'll definitely try to put some compression on the tracks. our guitarist was mixing it with some program and he hasn't found the compression option yet, we'll probably figure it out over break.

8. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Cool stuff. Really great bass tone.

9. Is it the same live song that you posted several months ago? Or is this one studio? Before I download I'd like to make sure I'm not downloading a file I already have.

It's definatly a cool tune though. :)

10. it's "studio." studio meaning "various basements." ;) the guitar part is different and there are more harmony vocals and the bridge is hilarious.

11. great bass tone:)

how were the drums recorded?
    there sounds like a lot of reverb on the whole kit- was that added in the mix or natural room reverb?
    the bass drum is buried as a result.

I'd cut the lows from the speech bit in the middle to stop them muddying the mix.

12. I really like it, the bass is good. Sounds like a good mix to me, nothing really stands out (I mean that in a good way). I especially like the lyrics, there aren't enough Full House based songs out there. Keep up the good work.

p.s. Love that bass tone, the Reverend sounds goooooood.

13. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

Why am I always the one who can't play these things? On my computer your link immediately displayed an action canceled notice. The Media Player came up, said "Playing', but no sound. Then I got another computer box notice. I'd really love to hear it, Clasher.

14. bop - did you RIGHT click? you're supposed to click the link with your right mouse button, and a little menu should come up, from which you click on "save target as" (the exact wording might be a little different if you don't use windows 98).

15. Erlendur Már

Erlendur Már

May 24, 2000
    Thumbs up!
    Great bass sound:)

16. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    I loved it. I think I'm officially a Zack Morrissey fan.

Are you a Sunny Day Real Estate fan?

Anyway, I loved the vocals, especially the opening "Cut It Out" part.

Great stuff.

PM me your snail mail address, there's a couple CDs from a friend's band that I think you would like.

17. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    This used to happen to me half the time I visited mp3.com, until I downloaded the newer Windows Media Player (version 9 something), and set it to only play mp3s, and now they play fine. Maybe you could try that.

18. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

Diff, that may be my problem--not having version 9--because I did everything Clasher advised me to do and I still can't hear his song. I just keep getting a "Playing, Buffering, Playing, Buffering" message over and over, but no sound. Dang it! I will look into the media player thing. I hope it doesn't cost money.

19. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Nice stuff DHC. And to think i mocked your rumblefish. I take it all back.

20. bop, download winamp. www.winamp.com

that's what like 95% of the planet uses to play mp3s.