Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Download my band's new song! now! I command it!

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by dancehallclasher, Sep 3, 2002.

1. it's on the front page of www.zackmorrissey.tk

it's the first finished song from our summer recording sessions, we still have to record vocals and mix on the other ones.

i think for a completely DIY basement recording session it sounds damn good. we got the drums and bass down on all the songs in one day. god bless digital technology and local music stores that loan us equipment. :D

2. Lipis Roman

Lipis Roman

Mar 5, 2002
    USA
    Pretty decent recording for a DIY, the levels seem to float around a bit, but still not to shabby. It's a catchy tune too, I dig it man. Its definitely got the pop appeal, hope that doesn't offend ya. I can really hear that song being played on the radio and MTV. I couldn't make out all the lyrics but I got the jist of it. I've got a major soft spot for lyrics reminiscent of the "salad days", ahh youth..... :)

The bass sounds good too, I dig the tone and you're playing. Thumbs up!

3. Justin V

Justin V

Dec 27, 2000
    Alameda, CA
    Sounds pretty good for a basement recording. It's kind of hard to hear the vocals sometimes, but the point gets across. It's really catchy. As Lipis Roman said, I could easily see this getting played on the radio a lot. I really like your tone and playing too. Keep up the good work.

4. thanks fellas. yeah, we're not trying to break new ground or anything. pop sensibility is certainly important to us, in this project anyway. we just wanted to give this campus a rock band to call its own. the few bands we have here are pretty much acoustic-y and pseudo-funky in a dave matthews way. that's no fun. ;)

5. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    'Will you wear my slap-bracelet?'

Classic! Catchy tune, nice bass, and I really really like the drumming.

-robert

6. Good stuff. What equipment did you use to record it, and how (live performance through PA into recorder, or parts done separately and mixed, or what)? I'd like to get some new DIY home recording ideas. Everything sounded great the way you did it.

7. Dan, it gets a bit complicated - we had 5 drum mics going into our P.A. head, and when we got the placement of the mics down and the volume levels right, we sent the signal for all the drum mics into two tracks of a mixer we borrowed. then, the guitarist and i played our instruments direct into the mixer, so each of us could hear every instrument through headphones plugged into the mixer (this required a headphone splitter/adapter though). this way there was almost no mic bleed.

then we ran the drum tracks from the mixer to a digital 8-track. so we were all playing at the same time, but just the drums were being recorded.

when the drum tracks were down, i recorded the bass into two more tracks, one of them was a mic on the amp, one was direct XLR. when the bass and drums were down, it was easy for the guitarist to record his parts alone.

yes, it took us a good part of the day to figure this all out - it was quite a precarious setup, in retrospect. but it worked this time...

8. RedV

RedV

Mar 19, 2002
    Eustis, FL
    Very catchy tune man; I like it!

Alex

9. Thanks for the info. My old 'band' is supposed to be getting back together and we're hoping to do some recording. In the past, we have recorded using the scientific process knows as 'winging it', which consisted of turning on the amps real loud, and plugging a Radio Shack pan mic into a 4-track tape recorder. You guys have taken 'winging it' to another level.