Downloading Music

Discussion in 'Music [DB]' started by Jimmy Blue, Jan 13, 2004.

1. Jimmy Blue

Jimmy Blue

Feb 10, 2003
    Do any of you guys/gals have any links or info on the latest on the Music download/file sharing issues. It appears that sites like winmx are still going strong. Are the pay per song sites ligitimate? How about the fixed monthly fee sites? Do they have adequate selections? any suggestions for sites with comprehensive jazz/blues song lists?

2. Damon Rondeau

Damon Rondeau Journeyman Clam Artist Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2002
    Winnipeg, baby
    I can't speak for ALL the download sites, but some certainly are legitimate and are mighty convenient in my opinion. Try e-music for a great jazz selection...
  3. Sam Sherry

Sam Sherry Inadvertent Microtonalist Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2001
    Portland, ME
    Euphonic Audio "Player"
    There is no way I can speak strongly enough to discourage illegal downloading. Even if we assume that that many jazz artists don't need CD sales to buy their macaroni, lots of people DO use the proceeds of this CD to fund the next one. If you pirate their stuff, they just can't move ahead.

Emusic was definitely fun. They used to allow ridiculous amounts of music for only $10/month, then they wised up. There's certainly a great selection of jazz classics, and a decent bunch of modern stuff, too, ranging from Tony Malaby to Chris Potter. Don't miss that Michael Moore & Bill Charlap duo disc!

I've pulled some nice live stuff off

I just got a bit off and will definitely return for more.

There are a bunch of shows posted on Jeremy Pelt's site, too. The first song I pulled wasn't to taste, but on further listening, WOW fine player and I'll be back for more.

Of course, there IS the TB/DB sampler if, perchance, you like listening to double-bassists.

Let us know what you find, eh?
  4. lermgalieu

lermgalieu Supporting Member

Apr 27, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    itunes and napster spring to mind. I haven't tried the new napster, but itunes is great IF they have what you are looking for. For jazz, they don't have a ton, but its growing every day. The problem is they use the mp4u format, which makes the files you get on itunes incompatible with most mp3 playes except of course the ipod. You can convert them using some third party utilities, but what a pain.

I'm with Sam on illegal downloads, however, I will choose to give away my band's music to anyone who wants it!
  5. I'm in favor of music being freely distributed, but I don't really want to get into that argument here. I download a lot of mp3s, but being an audiofile I can't stand to listen to them much so if I actually like something enough to listen to it more than a few times, I'll buy the record. I do like being able to download rare live stuff that you can't get anywhere. That and live Grateful Dead. :-D

I use Kazaa lite K++, seems to find me just about whatever I want.
  6. lermgalieu

lermgalieu Supporting Member

Apr 27, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    The fact that you support free downloads doesn't bug me as much as your appreciation of the Dead befuddles me. To each his own!