downloading music

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by heath_the_great, Oct 25, 2004.

1. alright...i know most of you on here are pretty well against the mp3 against it as well, but im also for it....i download a song or 2 off an artists new album to see if its worth buying...but i restrict myself to downloading bootlegs, cos i aint stealing money from them,......

but my real question is, do you think downloading video files, such as SNL performances, film clips and other free to air performances are the same as downloading mp3's or are they 'legal' to download by your opinon
  2. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    If its available in other places for $, buy it, if downloading is the only way to get it, i dont see waht else you can do. Ie: Family Guy DVDs, buy em, dont dl the shows.
  3. i see what ya im definately gonna buy family guy :D ...

but the videos im mainly reffering to are say SNL performances and erykah badu on chappelles show etc far ive downloaded chili peppers and SRV on SNL..and dave chappelle ripping of r kelly :D , and ive found a few zeppelin bootleg vids, joe satriani doing some radio show gig, satch and vai jamming in vai's studio, a couple live jaco videos, prince and beyonce at the grammys...and a few others off the basslobster and john pauls jones' websites
  4. Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    I download music. If:
    1. It's a song I'm learning to perform live.
    2. I don't pass it along.

In my mind it's promtional to the source and performed in a venue that pays ASCAP fees for the performance of live music.

If I had anything out there worth selling and promoting, I would give it to other musicians. I would be surprised if any other musician would begrudge me doing that under those conditions.

There's a big chunk of those songs I'm not all that crazy about and I wouldn't buy them for enjoyment so I don't really see how I'm costing anyone any revenue.

Anything else I buy.

How's that for rationalization?
  5. Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    I stick to only stuff the band authorizes for trade, IE I download from here:

Or other sites like it. Like the above poster said, if its available to be purchased, its stealing to get it without buying it, but if its not available or otherwise unrestricted, by all means, download em.

I do however rip all my CD's I purchase to mp3, but thats for my own personal use, I dont share those, cept to a few friends if I want them to check out something they wouldnt otherwise spend money on just cause I said its cool. I turn a lot of people onto bands they wouldnt have otherwise heard that way, but I dont give them the whole CD, just a sampler. If they dig it, they go buy it.
  6. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    On you can listen to excerpts from albums, so that you can estimate whether the album is worth a purchase or not.

20 French people are currently being prosecuted for illegal downloading. They also argue that "they downloaded one track or two to estimate the album's worth". Most of them had thousands of illegal MP3s on their computers...

I also download music for working on songs I'm gonna play live, but I get them from my MSN Music Club subscription. And when the songs are quite simple to play, I just listen to them once or twice (0.01 EUR per listen).

The fact is, action against illegal downloading is going to be more and more severe, and I really don't want to be exposed to jail or amend for a 0.xx EUR saving...

But to each his own vision.

7. NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    i use rhapsody (sp?) - for $10.95 a month i can listen all i want from any comp that has internet. i can burn for $.79 a tune.
  8. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile

sounds like me, I've got about 65GB of CD rips on my computer (and all my discs in boxes in my back room closet). I too will *share* the occational track with others... mostly to expand their musical horizons

I've been spending time a lot of time on and :bassist:
  9. Lucky me being limited to 56k. I don't have the time to wait half an hour to download one song when I can go spend $7.99 at CD wharehouse and get what I want quickly.

I'm a proud member of the NOW! generation!! I want it NOW! NOW!! NOW!! NOW!! NOW!! I don't want to wait 10 seconds, I want it now!!

Rock on
  10. Personally i download quite abit of stuff.

Especially to burn into a mixed album.. of anything, metal, dance, r&b. rock, hiphop, pop

and so when im out cruising with my friends theyre like oh hey whats this you got on.. im like its '....'

less than a week later they have the album and tickets if theyre touring.

dont see whats wrong with that.. ?
  11. oh crap and too answer your question heath.

im not against live stuff like SNL, Farmclub, talkshow performances...

ive got alot of those as well..but you may as well stop downloading now.

Ive never seen a Kubicki on one of those shows ;p
  12. Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    I personally think that one should not download, unless you can't buy the item being downloaded. I actually used to be all for people downloading stuff, but the past few years have been trying to not. I wont download songs at all, unless the CD cannot be found ANYWHERE (including eBay and the such), or if it's a band without a CD (but has music online and what not, but that's obvious). It's been discussed on here relentessly, and I stand by the view that that's part of someone's income. Think of your job (if you have one), how would you like it if you lost that job because someone came in and said that they would offer the exact same purpose for free? I think you would be rather upset. Same principal here.

13. Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    And I'm going against myself now. Maaaaybe you can download if you're poor and simply cannot find a way to afford the music. But then maybe download with the $9.99/month services. I dunno. Heck, ignore my posts.

14. theres been a bahama greeen one on friends :D joke..some wedding episode
  15. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    I have extremely broad musical tastes---literally everything from jazz to rap to oldies. I am a college student. I *cannot* afford CD's, no matter what the price. I have enough trouble finding gas money to get home. If I were to buy the CD of every band I like or listen to regularly, I would have to sell my truck.
  16. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    You need Rhapsody...10 bucks a month to stream from your choice of hundreds of thousands of tracks off of thousands of albums 24/7.

brad cook
  17. i understand what you are saying there ray...but what do you feel on live bootlegs from shows that werent being recorded or produced....and what about film clips and other live bootlegs
  18. Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    I feel that they can be downloaded, as long as they can't be bought ;).

P.S. my views confict with the minute by the way. At the moment I'm all for downloading, cos I'm on the kick of being a "poor college student who cant' afford music" :D
  19. i agree with what was said up there somewhere, if it isnt available to buy somewhere then there is nothing wrong with downloading it.
  20. LajoieT

LajoieT I won't let your shadow be my shade...

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    and yet you can afford a computer, internet connection, and a TB Supporting membership along with a Roscoe SKB 3006, Sunn 300T and 2x15 cab, Korg DTR-2 Rackmount tuner, Fender MIM Jazz 5-String, and Fender BXR-60. Carefull about crying poverty. It looks like you could rework your finances to avoid breaking the law.

I'm not totally against downloading mainly due to the VERY small amount of record sales that goes into the artist's pockets vs. the LARGE amount that goes into the Record Industry's unofficial Payola deals, studio arrangement deals, nepotism, hiring friends for large sums to do unneeded work (ask me about a $50,000 photo shoot for Lenny Kravits that will never see the light of day...) and things like Virgin Records paying Mariah Carey $13 Million to leave. I have downloaded a fair amount of music over the years, but I have bought EVERY SINGLE ALBUM that I have ever felt was worth listening to more than once. I have also gone to see every band I like and listen to regularly play Live which gives them a MUCH higher percentage of my money to the artist.