1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Downloading Vinyl Albums to HD

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Staccato, Nov 29, 2010.

1. Staccato

Staccato Low End Advocate

Aug 14, 2009
    Alabama
    It's time to start downloading LP vinyl albums on the shelf to hard drive. The newer turntables with USB are one method.
    If it's feasable, I have a Yamaha YP-211 direct-drive turntable with RCA plugs, if it is compatible for wiring it in?

Any suggestions from those that have gone there?

2. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    You don't need a USB turntable; most of them are very poor quality and will damage your records. Your Yamaha turntable is very nice!

The general term for this process is "needle drop". I have hundreds of CDs made this way from my record collection. Goes like this:

Turntable -> Phono Preamp -> sound card -> Computer -> MP3 or CD

The easiest way to accomplish "phono preamp" is to use your regular stereo receiver. Connect the "Tape out" to the "Line In" on your computer. Use Audacity or another program to record while the record is playing, trim the empty space, and save as WAV or MP3.

Here is a good thread in an audiophile forum I frequent which covers the process in excruciating detail.

http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=213244&highlight=needle+drop

3. Jonyak

Jonyak

Oct 2, 2007
    Ottawa, Ont
    what he said.^

4. mid_life_crisis

mid_life_crisis

Jul 8, 2010
    Just make sure you use a lossless format. Google "lossless audio format".
    If you don't you will find yourself wondering what happened to all the detail on your albums. The other thing is that phonograph albums are recorded with a curve that will sound horrible on a digital system. Don't be surprised if when you listen to these recordings, you have to eq the heck out of them.

5. Staccato

Aug 14, 2009
    Alabama
    Great, thanks!

BTW, this particular TT is belt driven.

6. Hi.

I used the Swissonic's 19" pre to do mine.

Recorded waw's onto Audacity, and did the editing there as well. This was several years ago though, I'm sure the technology has advanced heaps since then :).

???

That's why You use a phono input on the pre-amp/sound card/processor. Wthout the RIIA correction, it will sound strange. Easy enough to do digitally as well though.

Regards
    Sam

7. Staccato

Aug 14, 2009
    Alabama
    Sam, thanks!

8. Brick Top

Brick Top

Dec 7, 2008
    Michigan
    This is good advice. Also research Flac to use as your lossless format..