1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Downright rude pups!

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by GroovinOnFunk, Jul 18, 2012.

1. GroovinOnFunk

GroovinOnFunk Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    Endorses Cleartone and SIT Strings
    What are some pickups that are downright rude for a jazz bass? I'm talking tons of growl, lots of bite, in your face.

2. Toptube

Toptube

Feb 9, 2009
    Usually people mention dimarzio model j. They are a ceramic matnet design.

I have a Crafted in Japan Fender Jaguar and its pickups(ceramic) Have a pretty nice mid-honk to them. Though they arent as ballsy in the low mids as some of the neo and vintage alnico pickups ive heard.

3. Well I've got a set of Bartolini 9J1s in my bass. I've found that the string you use plays a big part as well. With any of the DR Nickels I've tried (LoRiders are the favorite so far followed by Sunbeams) this thing growls like nobodies business even when the string died. With Dunlop Nickels, not so much. And with Ken Smith Burners it would growl until the strings were dead.

4. GroovinOnFunk

Apr 30, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    I use DR nickel Lo-Riders as well (just started using them)

I was listening to some sound clips of Lollar pups and kind of liked those. The Nordtsrand NJ4SV sounds too polite.

I was considering Nordstrand, Fralin, and Lollar.
    Will have to research DiMarzio now.
    Thanks for the input guys.

5. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    For the most part, Nordstrand, Fralin & Lollar are all going after the "neo vintage" market - meaning that they're trying to capture the classic Fender Jazz vintage vibe (with the exception of the Nordstrand soapbar form factors, i.e. the the Big Singles, the Fat Stacks, and so on), in updated designs, with new materials. If what you crave is a super-aggressive, in-your-face kind of tone, you're looking in the wrong place. You've got to think outside the box. :meh:

The DiMarzio Model J certainly qualifies. So does the Delano JMVC 4 FE/M2 (Oh my! They're downright vicious! :smug:) That's just for starters...

MM

6. datsaxguy

datsaxguy

Oct 28, 2008
    Maryland
    Diamarzio Ultra J or Bassline Quarter Pounders

7. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    +1

8. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned Commercial User

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    That's a good point. I used to use those Smith strings, they are nice.

If you want really aggressive sounding strings, you can't beat Rotosound Swingbass 66 (stainless steel).

9. GroovinOnFunk

Apr 30, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    You know, though I've been playing bass for about 11 years now, I feel like my ears are still not highly trained to "the perfect bass tone" and my vocabulary often seems to use the wrong words to describe what I'm after.

I like the IDEA of aggressive and in your face, but I don't like very sharp and biting highs. What I really want, I suppose, is a sound that will slice through the mix like a chain-saw cutting through room-temperature butter.

Some examples of bass players with tones that I really like: Jaco, James Jamerson, Matt Bissonnette (he played with Joe Satriani for a bit and I absolutely LOVE how his tone, though not having too much brightness to it, just slices right through the mix.), Marcus Miller, and Geddy Lee.

I know Marcus and Geddy have Fender Vintage pups that are very bright. I'm looking to OCCASIONALLY be able to coax that out of my pups, but overall, I'm more of a finger-style player. So really what I want is something that is very punchy, tight, and will cut through the mix.

If you youtube "G3 live in Denver" and listen to some of Mat Bissonnette's tone while he plays with Satriani, that's exactly what I'm going for. It sounds like it's low-mids heavy, but again, I may be using the entirely wrong words to describe it.

Thanks so much for all the advice and input.

10. RedNeckBBQ

RedNeckBBQ

Sep 23, 2011
    Thunderbird Pickups.....
    that all i have to say

11. GroovinOnFunk

Apr 30, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    Thunderbird pickups in a jazz bass? I'm not trying to do any routing or anything like that. Want to leave it as original as possible.

12. CrashClint

CrashClint I Play Bass therefore I Am

Nov 15, 2005
    Wake Forest, NC
    DR Strings Dealer (local only)
    If you don't like the tone and are running from the law you can also use these strings to remove your finger prints. :D

Drop in a Pope Flexcore preamp, these can go from nice to naughty with any pickup.

13. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    I can appreciate the fact that you admire players with a wide variety of tones...except that referring to Jamerson, Jaco, Marcus & Geddy all in the same paragraph doesn't exactly nail down any one, specific kind of tone in the mind's ear of the reader... :meh:

MM

14. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned Commercial User

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    They also did a god job removing large sections of the frets on my Rickebackers... :bassist:

But nothing quite sounds like Rotosounds.

15. seang15

seang15

Aug 28, 2008
    Cary NC
    I personally love Kent Armstrong J pups!!

16. xander8280

xander8280

Dec 29, 2011
    I'd got with the vintage hot fralins. Or anything that's "overwound" and passive hot.
    I have some hand wound pickups styled like fralins(I know the dude who wound them) they're "overwound", so much treble and growl.

17. seang15

seang15

Aug 28, 2008
    Cary NC
    +1. Thousand.

18. Ken J

Ken J Hartford Hot Several Brass Band

Aug 19, 2011
    Middlefield, CT
    Second on the BassLine's
    Just turned my Squier Jag into monster. I’ve got way to much low end. I’m looking to swap out the jazz pickup do to there being too much lows with both precision and jazz being BassLine. I’ve got a thread cooking under pickups (Help on mids and highs).

19. GroovinOnFunk

Apr 30, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    Hahaha! Yes! I've tried using these before and they definitely do a number on your fingers. Great if you're trying to build up calluses quickly... Not so good if you don't have calluses and try to play a 4 hour gig with a new set of Rotos (I did that once... had many blisters to show for it)

Yeah, I think that "aggressive" and "in-your-face" might not actually be the correct way to describe what I'm after. If someone could take a quick listen to any example of Matt Bissonnette's tone in and let me know how to best approximate that sound? It looks like he's using single coils... I could be 100% wrong though.

20. I see some major amounts of confusion in this thread...Pickups with the highest output level such as Bartolinis or SB3 are everything but "downright rude". I have tried over 10 sets of pickups on my Jazz Bass. The more "downright rude pickups" have less wire, such as the Fender CS60's or SB1's. It's a Classic Jazz Bass sound full of character and grit but less lows than high output pickups which are often bland. You can't have it all.