1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Downsizing from Ampeg 801E Cab to a 410?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by TheOutlaw74, Jan 26, 2012.

1. TheOutlaw74

TheOutlaw74

Jan 24, 2012
    Um. Howdy. My name is Jon and this is my first post here.

I am not much of a gear head, nor a bass player really, But I got roped into playing bass in a few bands and I've been using an Ampeg SVT-5 Pro Head with an Ampeg 810E cabinet.

I am tired of lugging that thing out to shows and I want to downsize to a 410 cab.

I have a few questions I suppose that maybe someone could help me with.

1) If I get a 410 bass cab will I have issues with the Output of the head? The SVT-5 Pro has mega output.

1350 Watts Mono-Bridged @ 4 Ohms (1000 Watts Continuous)
    840 Watts Mono-Bridged @ 8 Ohms (680 Watts Continuous)
    2 x 675 Watts @ 2 Ohms (500 Watts Continuous)
    2 x 420 Watts @ 4 Ohms (340 Watts Continuous)
    2 x 255 Watts @ 8 Ohms (205 Watts Continuous)

2) What do you know about Ashdown bass cabs? As someone I know is offering a trade with Cash.

Thanks in advance for any help you may provide!!

2. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    1- you will lose a significant amount of volume, and 2- the 5Pro has the potential to blow any 4x10 cab known to mankind. It can work, but you'll need to watch your levels. If it's not loud enough, or as loud as you're used to, you could always add another matching 4x10, (both @ 8 ohms) to get back to where you are now. 3- most people find the 8x10 is easier to tote around than a 4x10 is, since you need to "dead-lift" the 410, where the 810 can "tilt and slide".

3. edgaroviz

edgaroviz

Aug 8, 2011
    Israel
    I played the 810, great cab, but the 410HLF was way too boomy for me, played both with a 7PRO head.

4. +100 to this.

Before you ditch your 810, see if you can borrow someones 410. Not to play through, but to move around. Most people are incapable of dead lifting an 810 by themselves and thusly roll it around and have a friend to help them tackle obstacles that require lifting. I find this much easier than moving a 410. Which is just as bulky, as you should be smart enough to not try and tote around a heavy cab, but requires much more dead lifting.

5. 4StringShooter

4StringShooter Banned

Jun 26, 2011
    London, Ontario, Canada
    GBX Member #1
    Umm, dude....the only way that Pro 5 blows cabs is when its pushed to distortion, or " square wave" levels. ANY head can blow ANY cab if a square wave is pushed through it.

You can blow up a speaker cab with ONE watt of " square wave " put through it.

6. Umm dude... If you push enough current through a cab to force the driver past its Xmax, you will blow speakers. With a head that powerful it will happen long before the amp comes close to clipping. That head could probably push a cab well past its thermal rating before clipping as well. So then you would have blown cones, and melted voice coils.

7. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    umm, yeah dude, I use the "ANY amp can blow ANY cab" phrase quite a bit, as many younger players assume if a cab is rated below what the amp is rated for, it's impossible. Fact is, square waves don't kill woofers. Never have. And it's overexcursion that does, and that point is not rated like the thermal rating is. Chill out.

8. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    [​IMG]