1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Downsizing from Ampeg SVT-VR

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by smur89, Mar 30, 2015.

1. smur89

smur89

Jul 29, 2009
    Dublin, Ireland
    Hi guys,

I'm in the middle of selling my Ampeg SVT-VR, which should be gone by Wednesday. It was too big, heavy and powerful for what I used it for.

Getting rid of the head means it's nearly time to go bass amp shopping. I have the use of a friends amp while I'm without my own amp, so am not in a massive rush to pick something up.

My first choice on this was a 70's Ampeg V4-B, as I did like the sound I got from my SVT-VR. But I want to explore other options also. I've been looking at the Tc electronic RH750. Though I would like to stay tube, the size and portability is very attractive. I'm going to try out the TC Electronic over the weekend.

I'm very early in my research about what to buy, so I haven't looked much beyond these two amps.

I'm also selling my cab (Ampeg 410HLF), but there hasn't been any interest in that as yet. I would like to get a 2x12. Maybe a Bergantino...

If it matters, I play in Indie pop bands and Post Rock bands. But but basically, I like the vintage clean sound from the Ampeg (i.e. tube dirt was rarely employed!)

Any suggestions? Keep in mind, I'm in Europe! Also, keep in mind that "go try out loads of amps and pick your favourite" won't work, There is very little choice in music shops in Ireland.

Thanks,

Last edited: Mar 30, 2015
  2. Dave W

Dave W

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    Ampeg V4B Reissue

It's got very similar tone to an SVT, just without the sheer volume and clean headroom. It weighs about half of what the VR does.

Tbone76, LowEndWooly and Burwabit like this.
  3. In towns where there isn't a lot of choice in the stores (or really almost anywhere) try to make connections and sit in with as much as possible during rehearsals, before sound check, etc

Not only will you hear their rig but also the ensuing conversation is going to be compared to what they have so 'xyz is louder' and that's what you want, or 'xyz is cleaner and has the full EQ' and that's what you want, and so on.

Now I'm from Philly originally and finding someone rehearsing was easy. Finding someone who will let you sit in on sound check is harder, but not impossible. Especially if you are talking smaller clubs, bars etc. Some of what I dealt with was the larger end of clubs and that sometimes was harder to get into.

Depending on who wants to jam after the show that might be an option too.

4. smur89

smur89

Jul 29, 2009
    Dublin, Ireland
    Have been looking at those too, along with the originals.

5. Burwabit

Burwabit Likes guitars that tune good and firm feelin women Supporting Member

Apr 4, 2011
    Lubbock, TX
    +1 for V4B Reissue. 40lbs and plenty of clean headroom with the right cab (like 212AV or a Berg) for most applications where SVT is too powerful.

There are some good YouTube vids from Ampeg and Premier Guitar available.

6. smur89

smur89

Jul 29, 2009
    Dublin, Ireland
    Smaller City here, I don't see many local bands playing with amps that I'd have any interest in. Usually combos and the like. But worth keeping in mind, thanks.

7. Can't believe it.. you have made it this far in an Ampeg thread and no response from Jimmy yet!

Klonk, semiprohooker and Abrahampost like this.
  8. Abrahampost

Abrahampost

Feb 22, 2013
    Vermont
    The new v4 definitely fits the bill. The reissue does the clean ampeg tone very well and doesn't get dirty until much later in the gain staging. I love the tone of the original v4s but they do break up much faster and sound grittier than the reissue. Not at a bad thing, but it sounds like you are looking for a reissue. I just picked up a mesa walkabout and it does a great job emulating a tube head with just a bit of grit coming through. Don't let the 300 watt rating fool you.... the walkabout is very loud.

McFarlin likes this.
  9. mpdd

mpdd neoconceptualist

Mar 24, 2010
    LA
    most of the mesa tube heads weigh about half of what an svt or sunn 2000s weigh, i was going to get a v4b, but the cl los angeles seller was irritating the poop out of me by flaking over and over again so i just got a mesa d180 off of tb and i really love it for the tone, versatility, and weight

joeypee likes this.
  10. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I'm still trying to get over the "selling the SVT" part.

:crying:

11. smur89

smur89

Jul 29, 2009
    Dublin, Ireland
    haha! Sorry Jimmy!

JimmyM likes this.
  12. Alexander

Alexander

Aug 13, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    Agree with others - if you want SVT tone in a smaller package, the V4B is an obvious choice - the 212AV cabs are wonderful too. Have to say though - I was in Guitar Center last week trying out the V4B and LOVED the way it sounded through the 410HLF. I have hated that cab in the past, but for some reason, this combo just worked for me. Not sure if they changed the HLF design or if the match was just there with this head or what...

Klonk likes this.
  13. Reverend T

Reverend T

Mar 26, 2012
    Maybe it doesn't address your gigging needs but did you check out the new Ampeg EQ DI pedal with Scrambler? It is on pre order, available April onwards and has a headphone out. As portable as it gets. And could be an option.

Klonk likes this.
  14. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    I have one...very cool little pedal. Would still go for the V4B in lieu of the SVT instead ;) but for less than $200, it's pretty good.

Reverend T likes this.
  15. Reverend T

Reverend T

Mar 26, 2012
    Hey Jimmy? You have the SCR-DI? Are they being sold and shipped? I thought they put them up just this year and were still on pre-order. Maybe it is just musicianfriend...

Plus, any links to a more elaborate review of your experience with it?

16. Fair Warning

Fair Warning Deliverin' the Goods! Supporting Member

Weight and handling of the 300 Watt SVT's is a real issue. Even though I "have not" sold my SVT like some of us, I like using my SVT4-Pro, time after time. Together with my Tech 21 VT-Bass, I am not missing anything that the SVT-II was giving me. Also, I can tote around the SVT4-Pro with one hand. Still a heavy, powerful amp, but easy to use.

17. smur89

smur89

Jul 29, 2009
    Dublin, Ireland
    I was actually using an SVT 4 PRO about 4 years ago before I got the VR. I wouldn't be in a rush to go back to one.

18. smur89

smur89

Jul 29, 2009
    Dublin, Ireland
    I'm actually waiting on a Catalinbread clone with built in DI to be built for me, so am just looking for amps. Thanks though.

19. sloppy_phil

sloppy_phil

Aug 21, 2011
    Toronto, ON, Canada
    Not actually named Phil
    I feel like Ashdown, which is somewhat local for you, might be worth looking into. Their CTM line is sounds great, is full of tubes, and they have a good variety in terms of wattage on their models. I have an Orange Terror Bass 500 and find it's been working really well for me since I got it a year ago. I'd think considering Orange is also on your side of the pond, their stuff might also be worth looking into. The Terror line is only a tube pre-amp, but it does a pretty convincing job of nailing the dynamics you'd get from a full tube power stage as well.

For us over in Westeros, across the Narrow Sea, the UK-made stuff tends to be more expensive, and therefore to many people more prohibitive. And while Orange and Ashdown might be better known for their grit and growl, I find both companies make their amps capable of a really nice, kinda beefy clean sound. Not for everyone, but I happen to think it's pretty good

20. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    They are not being sold and shipped quite yet, but I have one from an early production test run. You know how people tell you that it's all about who you know? It's so true ;)

Somewhere in this thread I have some reviews:

All-New Ampeg SCR-DI! | TalkBass.com

Quick version is it's dead simple to operate, has a good solid Ampeggy tone with footswitchable overdrive, and is a killer little all-in-one DI/preamp/overdrive/headphone amp.