1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Downsizing Gear Officially Started Today

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by hsech, Sep 27, 2013.

1. hsech

hsech Work hard. My Social Security needs a raise.

Jun 27, 2012
    Central Iowa
    After finding out about another major health issue last week piled on top of my heart disease I decided it's time to go ultra-lite. Today I sold all of my Carvin heavy bass cabs and heads. I bought a GK MB500 Fusion Head (4lbs), a GK MBEII 115 cab (33lbs) and a GK MBEII 210 Cab (33lbs). All that together is still 30lbs less than the 4x10 Carvin cab I got rid of. I can mix and combine the GK stuff for any situation. It's heck to get old.

2. GK Growl

GK Growl Banned

Dec 31, 2011
    Getting old or not, I love my MB500 head and MBE410 cab. I can carry my entire rig at once, bass included. My guitarists always laugh when they see me showing up. They aren't laughing by the time they are on the 3rd trip lugging heavy heads and cabs.

3. blowinblue

blowinblue Blue in name only. Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2006
    SoCal USA
    Sorry to hear of your troubles. Thank goodness for the new great sounding, lightweight gear. I'm only 3 years behind you. You know the old saying..."Getting old sure beats the alternative."

M. M. :)

4. matti777

matti777 Supporting Member

Dec 13, 2007
    Edmonton, Canada
    The MB Fusion 500 is an awesome head.

5. 1960jbass

1960jbass

Mar 28, 2013
    Berwick, PA
    I too have been getting a few unpleasant health related bombs dropped on me, so I feel your pain. But you made a good choice in the MB500 Fusion. Bought one back in March and it'd turning into my all time favorite head. The best of luck to you!!

6. Davesound

Davesound

Apr 30, 2013
    Hi

I'm confussed.

I'm going on 70.Played today! Our group usually plays one or two times a week.We make a fair amount for only playing one or two hour jobs.I'm the oldest,but the others are at least 60 or older.What and where is an older person playing that requires so much volume.I use a Fender 350 combo amp.The biggest problem I have with it is making sure it's not to loud!What are you doing that requires so much equipment to create so much volume?

Thanks

Davesound

7. huckleberry1

huckleberry1

Jul 1, 2013
    Mesquite, Texas
    student
    :cool:Got the MB115 II combo amp & the 410 MBP Powered Cab

8. Marko 1

Marko 1

Mar 9, 2009
    N.E. Ohio
    MB500 with 212MBE is my light rig. Well, other than strictly DI box which I’m liking, as well.

And sorry about your health there hsech. Other than severe obstructive sleep apnea and related issues, I guess I’m doing okay. I’m gonna try to get in better shape and maybe I can gig for the duration. :)

9. Just got a Markbass CMD 121P. Gigged with it. It is really nice to walk into a gig with my bass in one hand and my amp in the other. 29 lbs. 350 w. Sounds sweet in the mix.

10. hsech

hsech Work hard. My Social Security needs a raise.

Jun 27, 2012
    Central Iowa
    That's why I said mix or combine. I can use one 1x15 or the 2x10 as standalone with the head running at 300 watts. When we play outdoors I can use both cabs together with the head running at 500 watts. We have a small but loud PA that doesn't play well with bass. If we had more PA support I wouldn't worry about a second cab. For most club gigs I've been using a single 2x10 Carvin rig running at 300 watts.