1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Downsizing my monster rig

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jcroxford, Oct 1, 2020.

1. jcroxford

jcroxford

Jan 7, 2017
    Sacramento CA
    20200930_221356.jpg This is my current set up. I split my signal in the ES-8 and run a clean channel to:Ampeg 79' V-4B &Ampeg SVT-810E. I run most of my pedals through: Ampeg Portaflex PF-800 & 2 Ampeg Portaflex PF115HE cabs. I play loud psychedelic sludge metal.
    I love my current setup, but I just can't lug the svt810 around to gigs anymore. I recently injured both shoulders getting in & out of my truck. I want to go lighter, but I want the same or similar volume/feel/sound. I'm thinking going all lighter 4x10 cabs. I would love to tryout different configurations at the local stores but stock on hand is crap right now. So I pose this question to the group:

Keeping the same heads, could I achieve a similar volume/feel if down sized to a 8ohm 4x10 cab for each head? Or do I need to get 2 pair of 8ohm 4x10 cabs? What about 1 4ohm 4x10 cab for each head? I've been looking at the fender rumble and/or the ampeg pf410 cabs.

Any advice/ recommendations would be appreciated. Thanks!

2. chris_b

chris_b

Jun 2, 2007
    Arthur U. Poon likes this.
  3. Zbysek

Zbysek

Mar 23, 2017
    Czech Republic
    +1 on Barefaced cabs with ten inch speakers

4. RickyT

RickyT

May 29, 2015
    Dee Why
    I'd be looking at Greenboy 1212/6 or 15's.

Lightweight and they can get LOUD.

scottfeldstein, CosmicRay and ryco like this.
  5. uncle woody

uncle woody

Dec 7, 2008
    The Barefaced sound nothing like the Ampegs.
    They are ported and have tons of lows, which is a totally different feel.

They are not bad cabs, but I definitely had some issues with booming notes inherent to the cab design.
    Barefaced seems most loved for their smaller cabs.

The rest of this thread will probably be about the Bergantino NV610 and rightly so.

6. mouthmw

mouthmw

Jul 19, 2009
    Croatia
    Yeah, came here to say Bergantino NV610. It's IMO the closest thing to a sealed Ampeg 810 cab in a smaller, lighter package. That's what I replaced mine with.

Also, I wouldn't pair your SVT with an 8 ohm cab. Tube SVTs take either 4 or 2 ohms, so you'd need 2 x 410 8 ohm cabs to play it safe.

westrock and ObsessiveArcher like this.
  7. The V4b has a switch on the back, if I remember mine correctly, 2, 4, 8 ohms. I don’t think an 8 ohm cab would hurt anything anyways.

I would certainly avoid 4x10 cabs. They would be more work than the 8x10.

8. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Scrap everything on the left and both cabs on the right. Get another PF800 if you like that head. Get two Mesa Subway 115 cabs, one for each head. Put an HPF in front of them to take out some boom. Smile as you drive past the orthopedic surgeon's office.

Even better solution? Scrap/sell everything. Get a Mesa D800+ and a power amp for you effects side. Split your signal to send clean to tu5e D800+ and dirty to the power amp. Or you could even use the effects send from the D800+ to go to your power amp. The whole setup will weigh less than that one Ampeg 810. And the volume will take your face off.

Short version. Those Subway cabs are the real deal. I was a skeptic until I took delivery of my 115 recently.

9. ClusterFlux

ClusterFlux Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2018
    I know this may sound like an odd option, but... Maybe get two 2x10 cabinets, and a lightweight platform to get them off the ground. There should be some options that are 30 pounds or less, and they'll be smaller. I don't think it makes a big difference in terms of tone to use two 2x10 cabs instead of a single 4x10.

Or, just get something small to use as a monitor, a good DI pedal, and use the venue's PA....

10. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2020
    Austin, TX
    ...Or...
    You could up your footwear game. You'd be taller, your rig would look smaller. Take some Advil.
    That's a killer rig, I like my idea way better than your idea.
    70s-rockstars-in-heels-1.jpg

11. funkinbottom

funkinbottom Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2006
    Northern CA.
    4 of these......

svt210.jpg SVT210AV

Border, jeff7bass and dalkowski like this.
  12. Sixgunn

Sixgunn

Jun 6, 2012
    Colorado Springs
    I don't wait 30 minutes after eating, to go swimming.
    Where do y'all play that you need volume that "will take your face off"?? Don't get me wrong, I like it loud but most people generally want to at least be able to communicate over the music (assuming you're playing bars and/or small to medium venues) and I know for a FACT that management/owners absolutely don't like loud bands. I "downsized" from a loud (and and heavy) Peavey 210 TVX loaded with 250 watt Eminence Betas to a 600 watt Schroeder 12PL and I still get asked to turn down.

Before:

ccc.jpg

After, with same head:

a.png

jeff7bass and southpaw723 like this.
  13. two fingers

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    1) You don't "know for a FACT" what every club owner wants. I've been doing this for 35 years myself. I know for a FACT that SOME club owners think "tue louder the better" and "If it's too loud you're too old". Generalizations don't help anyone.

2) Let's get real. OP likes it loud. Did you SEE the rig he uses now? Do you HONESTLY THINK he is going to go from an 810 and TWO 115 cabs to ONE 112? Again, your suggestion is not helpful in my view.

By the way, I have owned two Schroeder cabs. I'm well aware of his claims. I never got anything other than slicing mids out of either of my cabs. Numbers mean zero. They are marketing hype. My actual experience was that their tone is very harsh and mid driven.

dbase likes this.
  14. Sixgunn

Sixgunn

Jun 6, 2012
    Colorado Springs
    Geez! Lighten up, Francis. I was just commenting on the conversation and nowhere did I make a suggestion. I was just relating my experiences and am genuinely curious about where rigs that size are necessary. While there may be club/bar owners who like what you describe, In my 40 year experience, I don't see it as close to the norm and this comes from one who has reluctantly reduced my/our volume over the years.

15. two fingers

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    I ain't mad. I'm never mad. :D

You were just making emphatic statements about all club owners that simply aren't true in every case. There are plenty of people (THOUSANDS of people) still running full Ampeg SVT rigs, Marshall halfstacks, etc. There are plenty of ridiculously loud bands.

There are also plenty of music fans who want the music so loud they can't "communicate over it". (I'm not one of them, but acknowledge they exist.)

My issue with you is that your post implies that your experience is everyone's experience. Your post IMPLIES that any rig YOU have no use for, NOBODY should have a use for.

But, again, I ain't mad. I'm just pointing out how your post came across to me. It's all opinions. We all have them. They differ from person to person. Not a big deal at all.

dbase likes this.
  16. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

Apr 9, 2009
    Not really a generalization. 9 out of 10 owners (and sound guys) don't want to see the bassplayer walk in with a huge rig. Nor a guitar player with a pair of 412's. It causes problems, especially if the band isn't very good. If Schroeder's pronounced mids ain't yo thang, there's plenty of other smaller, very capable cabs that can do the job.

17. two fingers

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    I'm also a sound guy. I get it. I even AGREE that "too loud" is unnecessary. But, yes it was a generalization. And the "9 out of 10" figur you just posted is about as arbitrary as his post. Unless you have surveyed thousands of them, that's a false claim as well.

Never mind that OP HAS ALREADY DECIDED that he is going to he LOUD. So trying to tell him that being loud is dumb doesn't help him at all. If you don't want to help, why not just move along?

18. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

Apr 9, 2009
    It's called experience. I've been told to turn down with my Carvin head and two 12" DRB cabs a ton of times. So not arbitrary. Extreme stage volume causes problems with mics and monitors. I've seen many gigs turned into poopieshows because the players drag too much amp with them. As for Schroeder's being "marketing hype", that's just nonsense. Great cabs, just not for you apparently. Having more mids onstage actually helps bassists be heard because so many sound guys can't EQ their way out of the mud pit.

Super Bass and Sixgunn like this.
  19. Sixgunn

Sixgunn

Jun 6, 2012
    Colorado Springs
    Well I'm glad you're not mad! I'm never mad either :) I certainly don't believe my experience is everyone's experience and I wasn't trying to imply that it was.

Regarding Schroeder, I understand some of his early offerings were definitely mid heavy but those designs are not among his current lineup and I am quite happy with mine. Plus it weighs 28 pounds! :thumbsup: No one cab (amp, bass, etc.) works for everyone and I agree that numbers mean nothing. I go by sound.

jeff7bass likes this.
  20. Sixgunn

Sixgunn

Jun 6, 2012
    Colorado Springs
    For the record, I wasn't telling anyone that being loud is dumb. I was just genuinely curious where (other than large venues) that kind of rig is needed. I don't know the actual numbers but like you, I've been gigging for decades and in my experience, it's more like 95 out of 100. In fact, I can't think of a single venue in my area that will put up with excessive volume.

jeff7bass likes this.