Downsizing my rack

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by i like tictacs, Jul 16, 2004.

1. I have...

Furman RP-8 pwr conditioner
    Ampeg SVT5-Pro
    Korg DTR-1000 tuner
    Bass Pod Pro
    Behringer Autocom MDX1600 compressor (piece of crap as far as i can tell
    BBE Sonic Maximizer

Now, I was thinking get rid of the Behringer. For what I paid there is not nearly enough difference in sound for it to be worth a damn thing, unless I'm doing something blatantly wrong. The POD and Sonic Maximizer do well together, but like everyone else I don't see myself using EVERYTHING on the Pod. I use maybe 10 effects/models/whatever. So I'm thinking I should just ditch the behringer, and get something, or don't get something, to put in it's place. Agreed/Disagreed/What should I get, if anything. Because I have this 12 space rack that I didn't pay a dime for, that I'm going to want to put something in there.

2. TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    I just got a 6-space and it already weighs a ton. Not sure if you really wanna fill up 12 spaces. :p

Um... yeah, I'd ditch the Behringer. You already sound like you wanna. Take it out to a field, and hit it with a baseball bat and do dropping kicks on it like they did to that printer in Office Space.

Wanna fill up space still? Do somethin weird.... like.... get rack mounted light fixtures and stuff. And to compliment that, plug some Christmas lights into your power conditioner and hang them all over your rig. :D :smug:

Make sure to get the ones that flash on and off in different areas too....
  3. Take the Autocom out back and shoot it.
  4. T. Alan Smith

T. Alan Smith

Sep 9, 2001
    Bass Pod Pro
    Behringer Autocom MDX1600 compressor (piece of crap as far as i can tell
    BBE Sonic Maximizer

These are sucking your tone. :meh:
  5. This is a good point. Have you taken everything out of the chain lately jusy to hear the difference? I do that from time to time and always find out my tone is better without all the bells and whistles. Maybe you should try this out and see what happens.
  6. Yeah I've tried that and I can't get the tone i'm looking for. Just using the SVT is a little dry for me. The sonic maximizer and Pod go well together, the maximizer gives more of a fullness to the tone instead of just the dead tone people are always moaning and pissing about. Away, Autocom.
  7. nsh50a

May 11, 2004
    Columbia, MO
    I have never liked the sound of the PODs, but I do have to admit to being a fan of the sonic maximizers. I've been using a little DI version in my signal chain for the past year and couldn't be happier with it's performance.
  8. T. Alan Smith

T. Alan Smith

Sep 9, 2001
    The SVT is a nice head. If you've got the right bass in your hands and the right cabs, you don't really need all the other crap. I don't know what bass your playing or what your plugging that head into, but I know for a fact I'd start there.
  9. I dumped the Berhringer today and with the credit I got some books/videos. I figure the added skill and or knowledge would be leaps and bounds better then a little tone advantage. The pod is staying, I like it too much and it wasn't that expensive. I still have 7 spaces in my rack wide open ;)
  10. T. Alan Smith

T. Alan Smith

Sep 9, 2001
    Good move! I predict after some time with that video you'll have 8 or more spaces available. :cool:
  11. Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    I just moved from two 6 space racks to a 14 space shock rack. Even though it's backbreaking I like having options and having a backup, for my backup. I've got a Bass POD Pro and although I only use 4-5 tones out of it it's staying with me as well just because of versatility. You might wanna check out the Voodoo Labs effects controllers/Bradshaw switching systems. I'm looking at one right now. My understanding is that it is basically an effects loop system where you can hook in a ton of effects/preamp units and each is on their individual, dedicated loop. You just switch them on to your liking. This way you can keep all of your toys and switch each unit on when you want.

12. "Back up in yo a** with a resurrection. Its tha group harder than an erection that shows no affection..."

:D ;)

13. I think I'm gonna be set with this for awhile:

Furman hoobajoob
    sonic maximizer

not only does it look badass, it sounds badass, that compressor did more harm then good.