Downsizing my rig!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Falk, Oct 11, 2004.

1. Falk

Jan 18, 2004
    I'm thinking about downsizing my setup.

Right now I've got a SWR Mo'Bass amp, and a Eden 410XLT cab.
    I've got my eye on a Warwick Quad IV amp. It's a bit too expensive for me, but I've so fallen in love with the Warwick sound. I'm thinking a 2x10" cabinet to go with it.

Anybody suggest optional amps, and/or give me some tipps on a not-too-expensive cab?
  2. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    As for amps, I've moved to an Ampeg Portabass head myself. I like the small size and light weight. I'm running it into a pair of BagEnd S15-D cabs which are small 15" cabs. I'm very happy with the sound and the ease of moving this smaller rig.
  3. Hmm yes I too have been thinking of downsizing my cab - Mesa 1516 is getting a bit heavy for gigs. I'll watch this thread myself.

4. Falk

Jan 18, 2004
    The weight has always been an issue for me. Want to go easy on the back! :)

I was thinking about Bag End cabs myself. Maybe a couple of 12" would do the trick. I'm gonna e-mail the retailer, asking for a price list. I'm going to my local Warwick retailer later this week to try out the amps they've got in store. Maybe I'll go with an Eden or an Ampeg... Not sure... Think I'll save some $$$ and go for a used amp. :cool:
  5. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    You may have seen my thread about mini cab combos, but I will admit that most if not all of those setups may fail the "fairly inexpensive" test. Also, I don't know which of those brands are available to you.

Can you get your hands on Hevos cabs? The only one I have heard is the Hevos Midget, but my Midget ranks right up there with the best of the cabs in my "collection." And it is ridiculously loud for a 1x10! Two Midgets, or the Hevos Donar or Compact cabs, would be quite impressive, I am sure. What I don't know, though, is how affordable they are.

6. I may be looking at a 2x12 or 4x10 myself. I hate to give up the 1516, and may well keep it in the rehearsal space, its just ridiculous to have to transport that thing up stairs to the van for some of the gigs we do. It's overkill ..... my back!

7. i have a bergantino HT-112 powered by a crest pro 7200 sourced by a warwick quadruplet preamp. i am way down with the quadruplet. i played a warwick quad VI amp at elderly instruments and also fell in love with the warwick sound. and now i have it. there are so many good tones in this box. also, because of the quadrumatrix knob, it is a gigging machine. i rarely touch the 4band EQ, but i get a lot of different tones by changing the quad knob. sweet.

8. I think you get get the warwick with the 210. They sell a matching POWERED sub if you need more. Alan at will sell warwick or eden at less than 75% retail. He is honest and will deal.

I considered that head before but I am thinking that the warwick cabs, being german, would be voiced too bright. Who knows? Everyone raves about this little schroeder 1210 cabs so maybe one of those at 675 delivered and the warwick head at 70% retail would be a nice rig.
  9. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    a pair of aguilar 1x12's?
  10. Alexander

Aug 13, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    I agree with the Bergantino 112s - two are freakin unreal. Not exactly cheap, but small, powerful and lightweight...
  11. Falk

Jan 18, 2004
    Im seriously thinking about getting a Quadruplet! I tried one out today and it is the shizzle! :D
  12. too bad you're in norway or i'd offer to sell mine. i us crazy for even thinking it, but i know i could use the cas and still have a nice pre in the process. i hear they're cheap in the EU. have fun with it!