Downsizing my speakers

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Steve S, May 21, 2003.

1. Steve S

Steve S

Jul 26, 2000
    After 30 years playing in bands, I've decided to quit gigging except the occasional party....maybe once or twice a year. I don't like playing until 1:00 am and returning home at 3:00 am..... I'm too old to continue doing that. I enjoy waking up early, drinking a cup of coffee and watching Sportscenter or the news - just like my father used to do when he was my age.

I've been playing through an Ashdown MAG 400 and a Peavey 410 TX. I want to continue playing in jam sessions and want to downsize my speaker. I've been hearing great things about the Aguilar 112 and wonder what other players think about that or a 210 cabinet. I'd like a good low end that is full and can compete with drums and guitars in someone's house or outside if the weather is nice.
  2. I'm in about the same situation as you. I'm 53, been playing since I was 18, still climbing in and out of the back of my truck lugging and tugging PA and Bass amps. I've started planning for my retirement too. This is my LAST last band and when it retires so will I. I recently got a Bergintino HT112 that really turns my crank. I've been powering it with 250 watts and it's all the volume I will ever need in retirement. Hope this helps.
  3. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    i had the EXACT cab you are getting rid of and got a epifani 2x10 to replace it.
  4. I have another subwoofer in glue-up as of this writing. It lives in 0.6 cubic feet and measures 20.75"(W) x 12"(H) x 11"(D) external dimensions. It is made entirely from 3/4" MDF and weighs 29 pounds without driver and grille. Baltic Birch void-free plywood is about 10 pounds lighter.

It is slot port tuned at 33.5 Hz, but is intended for a 4-string bass. The port was deliberately made too small so it would fit into the tiny cabinet. The 33.5 Hz tuning frequency is below the operating range of my 4-string bass, so it won't chuff even at full power.

The width is my standard footprint, so this sub will sit underneath my JBL E110 (Highs). I always bi-amp, so this tiny combination will be perfect for small venues using my standard rack. It will also support my Hammond and NanoBass synth.
  5. LM Bass

LM Bass

Jul 19, 2002
    Vancouver, BC
    I'm a big fan of EA speakers. I have a CXL-110 and plan on ordering a CXL-112 soon. They are lightweight (30-40lbs), efficient, and handle a lot of power. (And no, they don't pay me, but they oughtta!)
  6. Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Woodland Hills, CA
    With a drummer who knows how to control his attack, it should be no problem, volumewise.

I have used a couple of 210s including a homemade eminence driven 210 with SWR Bass 350 and a Carvin RC210.

I have also used a 115 combo, the Ampeg B100-R. That sounds great and is pretty durn loud.

Nowadays I mostly play through a small set, Avatar Compact 15 and 12h. I use an Ampeg SVT400T and it sounds great. The cabs weigh around 40lbs each.
  7. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I have to second greybeard on the Bergantino 112. Just an outstanding cab and it is the smallest 112 on the market.
  8. Steve S

Steve S

Jul 26, 2000
    Thank you for your suggestions. They give me an idea of what I need to look for..narrows the search...
  9. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    I've been gigging for over thirty years too, and I'll give myself a few more......but for now my small rig is two Bergantino HT112's, they are light and when the two are put's tonal heaven:cool:
  10. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    Let me get on the bandwagon with my Bergantino buddies. I just got my second Bergie HT112, yesterday, and let me tell you they are nothing short of amazing.
  11. Reefer

Reefer Guest

Mar 9, 2003
    EA CXL112's would be the best, but the Bergantino's are good also. You can probably get by with one CXL112 where you will definitely need 2 Berg's, Aggie's, or Epi's. Check the specs!
  12. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    If you are looking for an awesome light, powerful amp-check out the Nemisis 2x10 combo. 250 watts, made by Eden. 2 awesome 10", in an extremely light package. my band's singers dad just got one, and it is amazing. he says it sounds sooo good, and he can take it places with out breaking his back. it weighs 47 pounds, but it feels soo light. heres a link to the direct Eden/Nemesis Site

also a harmony central Review Link that might help

this amp rocks! its definately worth a checking out.
  13. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    i'm gonna vote for an eden wt-400 (get one used)
    i have one and keep it for medium gigs - 13#, idiot proof, and you can sling it over your shoulder

then i say get 2 epi 112s or 2 bergie 112s or one of each

then go to home depot and get a collasible/folding hand truck

sheer bliss!!
  14. I wanted the Euphonic Audio cabinets but couldn't afford them, so....
    I'm gonna throw in my vote for the Nemesis N-210P cabinets as well, but not the combos. I like the flexibility of being able to change amps if necessary.
    I just got my second one. At 40lbs. each they are much easier on my back than any 4x10 out there, and they both fit in the back seat of my car. For small jobs take one, for medium jobs take two, for big jobs use the PA.
  15. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Have you considered the new Epifani lightweight cabs. Sounds like it was designed for guys like you ( and me) who have better things to expend their energy on than lugging equipment. Worth a look....
  16. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    I'm thinking very seriously about trading in my EA VL210B for a 3x10UL. Only 50 pounds and 750 watts of power handling. Yeah baby!