1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Downsizing,Need Guidance in Amp choice

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by harleybass, Jul 22, 2020.

1. harleybass

harleybass

Sep 23, 2009
    Im downsizing from a monster rig.and need guidance which amp head to buy.looking at all the new class d heads,i had great luck with the peavey class d power amps.had several conversations with musicians to stay away from the mini mega and the headliner,they had trouble with multiple repairs.Bugera?how are they in a live gig?ampeg?.dont care for the fender rumble.plan on using 2 -15" cabinets.any thoughts,feedback?

2. fermata

fermata

Nov 10, 2015
    Traynor (SB200/SB500H), GK (MB200/MB500 used), and Ampeg (PF350/PF500) are compact heads that sound great and put out giggable volume (especially if you're running 2 15s). Obviously, there are lots of other good options out there, but those three that offer good tone and good quality at a decent price (with the bonus that Traynor and GK are made in Canada and the U.S., respectively).

Troy Eggen, RocknRay, portpc and 3 others like this.
  3. Voyevoda and WillyWonka like this.
  4. Wild_Bill_57

Wild_Bill_57 Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2017
    Cincinnati, OH
    Mesa Subway Amps and cabinets, very scalable, Iron clad warranty, great feature set, Made in USA, just hard to beat.

5. harleybass

harleybass

Sep 23, 2009
    Thanks very much.

6. WillyWonka

WillyWonka I "heart" pointy headstocks Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2019
    SJan3 and Guild B301 like this.
  7. musicman556

musicman556 Gold Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2019
    Smyrna, TN
    Silly question... what are you downsizing FROM? (ie: what is your current rig?) Could you get by with just a smaller cab, and play your current amp at lower volumes?

Waltsdog and bbh like this.
  8. Mesa, Genzler, GK Legacy or Fusion, Quilter, Ampeg SVT Pro series, Aguliar, Darkglass, Phil Jones BP-800, Fender Bassman 800HD, 'The Italians' Markbass and GRBass, 'Brits' Orange and Ashdown, 'Eurowegian' Bergantino, Vanderkey, EBS, Glockenlang just to name a few:)

smogg and msb like this.
  9. scuzzy

scuzzy

Feb 15, 2006
    Troy, MO
    I really like the orange terror bass. Not a typical class D, it's got a tube pre in it. Great sound.

Aqualung60 likes this.
  10. yonkrz

yonkrz

Oct 19, 2013
    SW MINN.
    I have a 4 ohm Aguilar sl210 and just picked up a tone hammer 350, in home only but it really puts out. Been playing since the late 70s and I’ve had many many amps and cabs but at a total weight of less than 40 lbs it sure will be my last.

11. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    If you are looking Buyers and Rumble, I assume you have a limited budget. Consider GK. Another good value, and a brighter, more "modern" tone.

eriky4003 likes this.
  12. harleybass

harleybass

Sep 23, 2009
    Im downsizing from a Rack of a Ampeg SVP PRO preamp,Peavey ipr 2-3000 ,tuner furman,amp,single Ampeg 15 and a single Ampeg 18.Love the tone,hate the weight.played some very big rooms.with whats going on.i need to downsize.
    A picture of my full rig Nassau Coliseum NY. Screenshot_20200723-070657_Gallery.jpg

Last edited: Jul 23, 2020
  13. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    Bergantino

14. MVE

MVE

Aug 8, 2010
    Whats your budget and tone goals?

jeff7bass and ELG60 like this.
  15. musicman556

musicman556 Gold Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2019
    Smyrna, TN
    So are you thinking of keeping your 115? Sounds like an Ampeg PF350 would be a great match, and not too expensive!

Or, the PF20T or PF50T. Really great options for home use, and even light gigging in the case of the 50T. They've all been discussed ad nauseam on the forum, so a few searches will give you LOTS of reading/info!

16. MAXSPINRUN

MAXSPINRUN Supporting Member

Apr 10, 2012
    Knoxville, Tn
    This compact high quality powerful rig does it for me. 8DEBF6F4-5AEF-4F86-9CC3-EC17B4B0CD3A.jpeg 10E56AEF-CF2C-498B-B245-3483FB66D3F6.jpeg

17. Ampslut

Ampslut

May 15, 2017
    One of my Rigs is an old Sunn 2x15 Sorado cab loaded with EVM's. I push it with a Ampeg pf-500. I love it.

18. Sav'nBass

Sav'nBass

Jan 18, 2009
    Virginia Beach
    Look right here in the TB Classifieds for a Mesa D800, 800+ or a Genzler Magellan 800. I would take those over anything you mentioned above.

ELG60, RColie and revroy like this.
  19. Erik herman

Erik herman Gold Supporting Member

Darkglass Microtubes 900 head, I have the original version since it came out and it’s been a joyous and pain free experience! I use Fender Bassman Pro neo 15s or an Epifani Ul610 series 2, great tone, lightweight, and enough oomph for anything!

20. acid bass

acid bass Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2010
    How has nobody mentioned this yet? "Downsizing" to 2x15 cabs! What kind of rooms are you playing that require this much boom?

I will add another vote for either the Mesa D800 or the GK MB500. Had both, both are superb and very powerful. Mesa's got a bit more low end growl, which I like.

eriky4003 likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 18, 2021