Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Downsizing Somewhat...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by tplyons, Jul 18, 2005.

1. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Here's the thing: my GK 400RB-III has treated me well with my RBS cabs, but my tone's shifting more towards vintage, and the GK isn't getting much use. Love the GK tone, but I'm leaning more towards the 800RB, more vintage tone.

The cabs are also very bright, so I'm thinking about selling ALL my bass gear, and walking away with an 800RB and Probably an Ampeg cab. Would I be nuts for doing this?

2. r379

r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    TP;

I guess that might depend on what kind of "vintage" you're looking for. Would that be '60s, '70s, '80s? What do you have in mind?

3. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    More '70's and '80's type. Almost Jaco in nature.

I love the 800RB head, just a matter of finding a cab to go with it.

I've got a couple of EV loaded 115's floating around, which sound great with Gk heads though.

4. r379

r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    Seems that I recall Jaco was using Acoustic stuff the cabinets of which, IIRC, contained 15" speakers so maybe that'll work for you.

5. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Yes, Jaco was using Acoustic stuff, but I find the GK a bit more versatile. Yes, I love the tone of the Acoustic, but the GK gives me what I NEED. You know?

The head is pretty close to set in stone. I've been with GK for years and they haven't let me down yet. The cab is something else, looking for something GK really doesn't offer.

6. r379

r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    I meant that maybe your 1/15 boxes might work for this. I've seen people get Jaco-esque tone out of all sorts of amp combinations using Jazz basses so maybe the bass and your amp EQ settings are what's important.

7. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    The cabs get close, especially the ugly new one I picked up. But, the best sounding one is fragile, little wiggly. I'll probably have to rebuild it soon.

8. TP,
    The 115SBX-II has a much more traditional sound to it. It's a 400 watt cab so might be a good option. It's got better lowend and less high end than the original 115SBX and the 410SBX. You're right about the RBS speakers. They are very bright.

9. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Try Avatar :D

-Mike

10. 43% burnt

43% burnt an actor who wants to run the whole show

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    My vote goes for this cab. I just picked one up used in mint codition for 350, and It's incredible. I play rock and metal type stuff and the tone is outstanding. I could see it being excellent for jazz/funk fusion though. Very articulate and responsive with tons of punch...but not too hi-fi. Witht he right amp/eq settings you could probably get a great vintage tone. 2 of them or paired w/ an S15x-d w/ the coax tweeter i'm sure would sound phenominal. Check out the Bag End Cab recommendations thread for more info on this stellar cab.

11. 43% burnt

43% burnt an actor who wants to run the whole show

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    only 44lbs too. :D

12. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Dan, first of all, don't tell Gene about this thread. He'd be heartbroken.

Second of all, I never thought of that. Forgot I'm using older design cabs. The 115SBX-II should work for what I want, even a pair of them. In the case I go with that, then it's a tossup between the 800RB and 700RB-II.

Your thoughts?

13. Squidfinger

Squidfinger I wish I could sing like Rick Danko.

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA
    I'm almost in the the same boat. I'm gonna trade my 1001RB-II and NEO212 in for an Ampeg V4BH and buy a classic series 210. I want to get back into old school fingerstyle and GK is killing me with how sensitive it is.

Had a bit of an epiphany yesterday. Played my friend's MIM P strung with TI Jazz flats yesterday acoustic for about an hour because the power was out. SWEET tone :eek: . Got home and played my Glaub strung with Chromes acoustic and felt like throwing up :scowl: .

Look's like I'm time traveling back to the 70's.[​IMG]

14. I'm puzzled by this. I don't have any trouble getting a great vintage tone out of my 1001 and neo cabs. Just leave the tweeter off and roll the treble and/or high mid back. Don't be afraid to go with extreme eq settings.

I use a single passive P pickup with the following settings
    4/5 string out or off
    contour 12 oclock
    presence off
    treble 10 oclock
    high mid 9 oclock
    low mid 12 oclock
    bass 1 oclock
    boost 12 oclock
    tweeter off

What you have time keep in mind is that the 1001RB and Neo just reproduce whatever is put into them. You are going to have a difficult time getting a vintage tone if your bass has active electronics. Also consider the strings you're using. Try going with a set of flatwounds. Or if you're using stainless steel, try going with nickle wound strings. A Music Man Stingray does not have a vintage tone. It has meaty agressive tone. Anyway, consider the full signal chain.

15. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio

+1

Vintage tone is certainly available with a 1001RB II.

16. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    Do you own a SansAmp? If not, try one. Instant vintage tone.

I was in the same state. I was finding my iAMP 550 and CXL-112 just too hi-fi for a classic rock band. I bought an LDS 1x12 1x6 to add some boom, which really helped. But I also have been using the SansAmp more and more. Sometimes I just leave it on for the entire practice (we aren't gigging much yet). No overdrive, just a clean tube amp sound.

The beauty of the SansAmp is that I can still get that clean tone I love just by turning it off (or leaving it at home). I play a lot of country gigs and they love the clean sound!

I used a rented 800RB at one gig. I had to really really really turn down the highs. After that, good tone. But I would try the SansAmp first. IMHO. YMMV. Caveat Emptor. Carpe Noctum.

17. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Yeah, I'm using a '78 Precision and a Marcus Miller Jazz, a fretless passive Yamaha and they sound great. Though I think the cabs aren't great for such a vintage vibe, perhaps the Neos will help a bit.

My settings are close to yours, with the 400RB-III. Sounds great through other cabs, just not the RBS cabs I have. They're a little nasally for my newfound taste.

18. Squidfinger

Squidfinger I wish I could sing like Rick Danko.

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA
    I don't know what to say Daniel. My settings are exactly the same as those except I leave the contour off, boost is at 2 o'clock, I and turn the bass completely off for practicing in my room.

It's not so much the tone as the sensitivity that's driving me crazy. I play a Bob Glaub with Chromes (need to change back to TI flats) mostly with a pick but I've been getting back into my old fingerstyle groove more and more. Thing is the amp sounds fine for pizzicato except when I start fast root pumping. I hear alot more of my fingers hitting the strings than I do the notes and this is with my tone knob at like 20%. If I turn it any higher than that it just becomes too noisy/harsh. That's another thing, I'd like to have a useable tone knob like I had with my amps before this. I enjoy playing my friend's Peavey TNT more than my rig. :(

It's gotten to the point where almost every time I sit down to practice it ends up being an eq wrestling match which I usually lose. You've been very kind to me in the past and have helped me with my tone several times but I guess GK just isn't for me. 80% of the time when I hear a tone I love it turns out to be ampeg. I guess I want lo-fi.

Thank you for all your help and advice.

Daniel Waters