1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

downsizing suggestions?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by harley_ou812, May 11, 2006.

1. Hello all. I am currently playing a mesa 400+ through a mesa 1516B in the road ready case. first off let me say I love the sound of it.. but my back hurts even thinking about it. I am looking for suggestions on what to do... I am currently looking to replace the cab with one or 2 light weight cabs but havent been able to find anything in any of the shops around me to try. So I am coming here for advice.

Also I currently and looking to keep using the mesa 400+ but down the road may look for a lite weight alternative to that as well.

Anuy info, advice or guidance will be greatly appreciated

Thank you
    Harls

2. Alexander

Alexander

Aug 13, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    What kind of music do you play and what tone are you looking for?

3. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

The Mesa MPulse600 is very lightweight (about 26 pounds and two rack spaces) and still very 'tube sounding'. That, along with a Schroeder 410L with a 'toned down' tweeter option that Jorg could recommend (about 60 pounds, loud and punchy) would be a very small, lightweight 'rock voiced' rig that IMO would do a pretty good job of emulating a full tube rig with a large cab. Just IMO.

4. Almost everyone makes lightweights nowadays. Which one you like most is all a matter of money and taste.

5. Mostly the tones I dig are "Rock" tones and I play mostly "Rock" music of a variety. I am into surf rock, southern rock, classic rock. Pretty much anything you can think of. I also would like something that could cover my basses if I would want to play some country or jazz or all that. But like i said my main focus is rock music.

If it gives any help I currently play a rick 4001, a fender PJ, a original TBC USA dual humbucker, and an older audiovox bass.

I have heard good things about bag end 15D and the aggie 12s and shroeder but I havent been able to find any of these locally.

as far as prices go I am hoping once I have some ideas as to what I would want that I can maybe trade my 1516 towards the cab(s) I would like with hopefully at the most minimal dollar output on my part. But I will spend what I need to to make me and my back happy lol.

6. ebe9

ebe9

Feb 26, 2006
    South Africa
    EDEN WT550 (Head)
    EDEN 210XST (Cab)

7. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

I use a Mesa 400+ also (with a Berg NV610). I tell ya, I can cop a very similar tone with my Aguilar AG500 head. These are certainly worth a look and listen!

8. anderbass

anderbass

Dec 20, 2005
    Phoenix. Az.
    Ah..yes These big road readys are brutally heavy, (200lbs?). They sure roll around nice on flat ground , but carying this cab up or down stairs requires methods once only known to the pyramid builders....;)

If you want to stay with the big cab sound and feel, but want somthing much easyer to move, this worked for me.

This cab is discontinued and I have tried to stop pushing it here, but I also own a 400+/1516be (rr), so I just couldnt help myself.

I still keep my big Boogie around the studio, but my NV610 has more than filled the Boogies roll.
    These NV cabs are shallow,(18.5" deep x 3ft high x 2ft wide) they roll, carry and load much easyer than the 100lb. weight would suggest.
    The term "little giant would defenetly work here.

The difference (in my opinion) between these two cabs using a Mesa 400+ :

The Mesa will produce more lows, and can give you more highs.
    My sealed berg is never boomy in the same crappy rooms, the 1516 always was.
    I like the natrural high end roll off in the Berg, It lets me dial in more highs at the amp.

The NV610/400+ is all about punch and strong low-mids, In a loud rock band this cab gives me everything I need and nothing I dont.

I finally love my solo tone with the amp set near flat, and with only a master knob twist this rig will sound good anywere. (plug and play)
    My rig cuts through with ease, and I never end up playing to loud to hear myself while competing against any aural clutter my loud bandmates can conjure up.

Many poeple on this forum feel the 400+ pairs very well with this cab.

For your lightweight amp suggestion, I have read over and over, that the DB-750 is a (lightweight) match made in heaven with this cab.

9. mesa tone and if you get the scout combo and the ext. speaker you get plenty of power

10. I had a bit of an impulse buy on ebay last night. I bought a Aguilar GS112. I have only read about them I have heard good things about them but what do you think of them witha mesa 400+ if I dig the tone I will probably look for a second one so I can use 1 for smaller stufff both when the need arises.

11. main_sale

main_sale

Apr 26, 2004
    Cape Cod
    Cabwise I went from a 410 to a Benz-Benz NeoX 212T and I've never looked back. Great warm tone, plenty of of volume and much easire to lug around. It was the answer for me.

12. truckin88

truckin88

Oct 18, 2001
    Newburgh, NY
    down sizing never works, you will always want more, more, GASSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

The road ready cabs are very sought after, and I would TB or ebay it, they will screw you on Trade. The only thing is it might take some time finding someone locally.

Definately sell the 400+ privately and do not trade.