Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Downtuned DB?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by Fuling, Jan 15, 2005.

1. Fuling

Fuling

Jan 15, 2005
    Hi!

My name is Daniel, I´m 25, I live in Sweden and I´m new on this forum.
    I haven´t even got a doublebass yet, but I will on Monday if things goes as planned.

For now I play fretless bassguitar in a metal band (www.deaduntilrising.tk) but I have plans to try the DB in the band :bassist:

The problem is that our instruments are tuned down to D or even C# instead of E. Is it possible/ a good idea to tune down a DB that much?
    If anyone has tried this, please let me know!

Stay tuned!
    /Daniel

2. Francois Blais

Francois Blais Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
    Some DB strings are available in thick gauge so you could lower the tuning a whole step with too much tension loss.
    A low C# is available in some brands. It's a solo-tuning fifth string, with the low B being orchestra-tuning.
    Orchestra tuning = B E A D G and you can get a high c.
    Solo-tuning = C# F# B E A
    Solo-tuning strings are thinner than orchestra-tuning so they can be tuned a whole step higher.

3. Fuling

Fuling

Jan 15, 2005
    Thanks for the replies!

Jason:

I have pretty much the same gut feeling, but I also feel that it´s worth a try!
    By the way I´m not buying the bass specifically to play with this metal band, I (try to) play a lot of other kinds of music too.

Maybe I can convince the guitarplayer to tune back to E or at least D#, that should make things easier I think.