Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Downtuning 4-strings

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by darthpony, Mar 29, 2005.

1. darthpony

darthpony

Mar 17, 2005
    South Africa
    Hey guys

I'm looking at buying a new bass this year, and I want to buy a 4string (maybe 2, if I have the resources, hehehe, one for a nice jazz sound and one as a workhorse).

Now, downtuning.
    I've recently tuned my Warwick Corvette to A#, C#, G#, C#, F# and on the low C# I can hear it's taking a bit of strain. Err, now that I think about it, maybe it's just my strings that are a bit old?

Anyways, how many of you guys play in different tunings on 4strings, and what have you had trouble with, and what haven't you had trouble with, etc?

Sweetlike

2. fozzy

fozzy

Jun 21, 2001
    Riga, Latvia, EU
    Hi!
    I tune my BTB - C G C F . The low C is .126 , no flopping, tight as standard E. I think .120 will do the job, too(this is what i'm gonna do when i'll find one).

3. Do you mean drop D a half-step down with a dropped B ??

Man, that is strange ! We do a lot of crazy thing for guitarists, don't we ?? Your bass should be able to take it. Having a 35" or 36" scale should help, and maybe heavier strings.

4. darthpony

darthpony

Mar 17, 2005
    South Africa

Lol, yes.
    I was jamming with these 2 guys who are tuned a half-step down on their guitars and then dropped to C#.

Was too much of a pain to keep up with the riffing, so I just dropped the B and then dropped the D some more.

Guitar players.. *shudder*

But BTB, I'll keep that in mind, thanks Fozzy.

I just don't want to use the 'wick for this, I'd rather get a nice 4 string and use that.

5. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
    Be careful on those masive detunings or your neck will end up as a wet spaghetti.

6. 43% burnt

43% burnt an actor who wants to run the whole show

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    A Thicker low E string will definitely help. I had a flopping issue with C tuning and that helped alot. I suggest a pro step after you find the right string combo. A truss rod tweak will make a huge difference. plus get your intonation on point.

7. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I prefer just slapping the guitarists around untill they realize that droping it to B below E is just freakin' stupid. Amps have more low end than they're given credit for. Yes, you can still sound evil and mean in something as petty as drop D or even *gasp* standard tuning.

And, kindly let them know that it's called a Bass Guitar for a reason.

8. 43% burnt

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    ha ha ha :p

9. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I became bitter after I realized they wanted me to tune BEAD on a four string...without the benifit of stringing the damn thing BEAD standard. Tuning to B on a .105 string? Time to slapbox the crap out of someone.

10. 43% burnt

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    i know how that goes. I tried convincing my guitarists we should switch to standard tuning. Every "heavy" band is downtuning, its just getting old. Plus E sounds wicked. One of them was into it, but the other one was like no way. Oh well...nobody cares what the bass player thinks. I'm used to it at this point.

11. darthpony

darthpony

Mar 17, 2005
    South Africa
    Don't get me wrong, I prefer tuning standard.

I'm just trying to find out what the best 4 string / setup would be if the need to downtune ever did arrive ;)