1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Downtuning....

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by moopants, Jun 28, 2007.

1. moopants

moopants

Oct 21, 2006
    Lake Charles, LA
    If you were to intonate your bass for standard tuning, and you dropped your E string to a D or whatever, wouldn't every note you play on the "D" string be flat?

2. Maybe, maybe not. Depends how far down you're tuning. Drop D isn't much of a change, you'd probably not be able to tell that the intonation was off. If you did a full step or more, you might start to notice.

3. You'd have to configure your fingers according to the adjustment. For example, to play an F, on the E string it's one finger. But in drop D, you'd have to use your third finger.

4. moopants

moopants

Oct 21, 2006
    Lake Charles, LA
    I'm not talking about that. I mean, since you're dropping your string's tuning, the notes on the frets would be off, right? Like, if you were to down tune, the F on the "D" string would be flat, because the frets are intonated for a string tuned to E, not D.

5. I see where you're coming from now. I play mostly fretless, but I guess that might make them flat. Just by a miniscule amount though.

6. moopants

moopants

Oct 21, 2006
    Lake Charles, LA
    Yeah, I play a lot of fretless, too. I just don't down-tune for that reason. I was wondering if it was actually a noticeable change in intonation, which still applies playing fretless.

7. 905

Jul 23, 2006
    Norway
    I don't know about fretless, but I can tell you that there's very little difference.

If you were dropping the E to a B or an A, it's a different situation.

8. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Technically, yes. But it's hardly noticable.

I play with a Hipshot detuner. I play mostly in E but switch to drop D a lot and have never had anyone notice my intonation being out.

9. moopants

moopants

Oct 21, 2006
    Lake Charles, LA
    I know some people switch from standard tuning to some really crazy tunings, like drop C (C-G-C-F) and others. Would these tunings sound terrible if, say a piano was with the group?

10. TeeMartin

TeeMartin

Jul 18, 2006
    Theres a chance that they intonate their guitars to CGCF

11. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 9, 2021