Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Doyle cabinets

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by rexspangle, Dec 29, 2001.

1. I was at a music store today and they had really good things to say about these cabinets. They classified them in the same category as bag ends. has anyone heard of them before?

click here to check them out

2. you have tried them for real? or is "O'doyle" your favorite hockey player or something :) :confused:

3. Acepiloto

Acepiloto

Aug 25, 2000
    I believe that he is referring to the movie "Billy Madison" It is a line that reoccurs throughout the movie.:rolleyes:

4. ah I got ya, don't remember that part but thats cool ;).

anyone?

5. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    How much do they cost? Where are they made? I've never heard of the danged things, and that ain't a good sign. My STRONG advice is that you get some brand-name cabs. SWR is always a good bet for good speakers at a good price. Hartke, too. You're even better off with Peavey or Carvin than the mystery speakers. If the guy's trying to pass them off as premium speakers at a high price, stick with Eden, EA, Bergantino or the REAL Bag Ends.

Also, they're not listed in the current Guitar and Bass Buyer's Guide. I'd steer clear of the speakers and the guy trying to sell them to you.

6. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    Then again, maybe they don't suck at all. Maybe they even rule. Who knows?

7. very true munjibunga

normally i would assume if no one (including me) hasn't heard of them it is a bad sign. but the guy was at a decent guitar store and is a bass player himself and he owns one of these cabs. these doyle cabs were with bagends, aguillar, eden, swr ashdown and ampeg. they costed $1199 (4x10), a little cheaper than the bagend 4x10 $1300, eden 410 xlt $1469. but they did look fairly decent. also when he was explaining them to me someone in the store came over and said "hey you talking about the doyles?"

sure my ears would mean a lot -but i would like to know more about them.

oh yeah they are made in canada.

8. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    Hmmm ... the Eden D-410XLT lists at $1230. You should be able to get a new one for about $800. Where are you, anyway?

9. I am in ontario. you must have american prices? some stores say it lists at $1999 here. but if you know a way to get one cheaper let me know ;)

10. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    I get it. You're talking $Canadian. I guess it depends on the exchange rate.

11. Thornton Davis

Thornton Davis Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Toronto
    Doyle cabinets are made by Gerry Doyle himself. His shop is located in Toronto, and he's been a cabinet maker for the past 25 years or so.
    His cabinets are well built and designed. He uses top quality materials and will build custom designed cabinets for you if you wish.
    Gerry can supply any speaker that is requested by the buyer, but he's happy to let the buyer supply his own speakers for a cabinet providing the speaker is up to spec with the cabinet.
    I've known Gerry for a long time and can recommend is products. Many of Gerry's designs are unique and very innovative. Bottomline is that his cabinets are worth checking out.
    Cheers,

Here's a link to Gerry's Website @ Doyle Custom Enclosures. Check out the video of one of Gerry's cabinets being tossed out of the back of a pickup truck traveling at 60 MPH. Hardly a scratch!

http://www.hearandnow.com/sponsors/doyle/

12. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    There you have it.

13. I guess I do thanx bassman :)

Hey I think you may be the closest tb'er to me I actually saw the cab in Toronto. But I do have another question is it much less money to buy direct from him? instead of a store?

thanx

joey

14. Thornton Davis

Thornton Davis Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Toronto
    I haven't spoken with Gerry for awhile now, but for the longest time he would usually sell his product direct for the same price as a store would sell it. This way he wouldn't have any conflicts with his dealers.
    If Gerry has inventory of a specific cabinet, he will do a deal with you for the cab itself.
    It's not uncommon to find a used Doyle cabinet in one of the used gear stores in the GTA. Keep your eyes open.
    Cheers,

15. how interesting, you two are the closest tb'ers to me...uh i'm such a rural slob:D

16. There's a pretty informative video on youtube about Doyle cabs. They use "Faital" (Italy) drivers in the 4 x 10 cab's that have huge ass neodymium magnets :hyper:, bigger voice coils :bassist:, better venting :D, cast frame baskets :cool:, and better cones that won't tear around the circumference like others may after your warranty goes :spit:. They have a couple other videos where they toss one of their cabs out the back of a speeding van and another where they get a 5 ton elephant to stand on one at the Toronto Zoo! :) Check it out! They seem really customer service oriented as well, I sent them an Email once asking a couple questions and they got back to me (it was Mr Doyle himself) almost instantly with concise answers to my query and invitations to call the factory and speak to them personally. www.doyleaudio.com (905) 839-9998

17. esoxhntr

esoxhntr Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2007
    Markham, Ontario
    I gigged through the 80's with a Doyle cab loaded with a JBL 140E. I would never have gotten rid of it but it was stolen. Good piece of gear - tough as H***. What store are they being sold at? I haven't seen them for a few years and would like to check the 410 cab out.

18. murphy

murphy

May 5, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    They also sell at some Brooklyn music store under the Brooklyn name.
    4x10
    and 2x15

19. getBrutal

getBrutal

Mar 31, 2011
    I know this thread is from a while ago, but I just bought a Doyle 4x10 last night for $400 (not saying everyone will sell it that cheap). It's in brilliant condition (but who knows, it's a Doyle, could have still been beat up).

But I'm running a GK 800RB on it, and it's AWESOME. Very clear and SOOO loud. It really works for a lot.

The cab is bulky (16" deep), but the handles make it super easy to carry around for 2 people, and a bit easier for 1.

Only problem is that I'm not sure you'd want to pair it with a brand-cab or another heavy ass Doyle, in which case I'd say one is enough and to go with lighter brand name cabs for taller rigs. This thing couldn't fit in any seat but the front seat when bringing it home. Great for bar/club gigs but hella hard to commute with in a car and I wouldn't want to carry 2 of em. Not sure though, I'll try it on the road and post again!