Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

dp 123 (model j) vs bart 9j's

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by toranabass, Jan 31, 2005.

1. toranabass

toranabass

Nov 8, 2003
    France/Albi
    Hello tb forumers!

here is my question:

what are the differences beetween model j & 9 j's?

I can catch a pair on dp 123 at a good price, my actual setup is: 75 mij jazz, emg btc, bartolini 9 j pups.

I'm mainly playing fingerstyle, and I'd like to get the monster tone for rock & reggae songs.

do the 123's give a better bottom than the barts? do they reach the vintage vibe?

I'm happy with the barts, but, at a good price why not take the chance to get a different flavour on the bass ;)

thanks a lot guys!

2. ErikP.Bass

ErikP.Bass Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2004
    Check out this link. Lots of DiMarzio sound clips....

http://www.subsonicfamily.com/bass/

Compare that sound with what the Barts you have.

I was trying to do the same comparison but had trouble finding Bart sound clips.....from what I remember about the sound of the Barts I had, the DiMarzio's seem to have more mids and highs, though I may be wrong. Also if I remember correctly the Barts seemed to be clearer, if that makes sense. Good Luck.....but if you like the sound you have I wouldn't mess with it.

Also more details about your bass may help generate responses.....are you using a pre-amp, what are the body and fingerboard made of, fretted or fretless, brand name ?

3. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    The difference to me (after some very brief testing on SIMILAR, but not identical basses) was that they both had comparable bottom end, but the Barts were noticeably more muddy than the DiMarzio's which had fantastic lower midrange definition. The upper mids and highs seemed to be very similar (to my ears) between the two pickups.

4. toranabass

toranabass

Nov 8, 2003
    France/Albi
    thanks a lot!

my setup: mij 75 reissue jazz bass: ash body, maple fingerboard, about the same look tahn the marcus miller sig.

gotoh bridge,

active preamp: emg btc.

curent amp: bxr 300c, gasing on mag 300h+ 410 deep!

5. toranabass

toranabass

Nov 8, 2003
    France/Albi
    I think about the same for the barts, a little more definition on the low range would make me happier! the upper ranger is a little bit hard too, the seems to be slapped, but I only play fingerstyle...
    maybe is it an amp issue? will my bxr 300c be sold faster than I think ;) or maybe am I pushing too hard on the strings :D

6. ErikP.Bass

Nov 23, 2004
  7. baji-naji

baji-naji

Jan 21, 2005
    If you can get the Dimarzios at a good price, why not buy them, try them and sell the pickups you like least. Even if you stay with the Barts the Dimarzio Jazzes sell quickly and easily at worst for a few dollars loss. That way you'll know what they sound like in your bass, not have to guess from listening to someones else's mp3s.

8. ErikP.Bass

Nov 23, 2004
    Regardless of style, preamp, amp etc.

Just thought I would put it to a vote. If these were the last two types of pickups on the planet. :eyebrow: